The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
gwcrim

Dick's seats

I've been researching a replacement seat for my 1980 standard cab C10. Shop 4 Seats, Cerullo, and Procar are all mentioned in this forum as options. Has anyone had any experience with Dick's? Dicksautoparts.com

They (of course ) claim that their seats fit well. The price for a set of high backs, brackets and shipping is under $1000! I always say if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

Anyone care to chime in?
gwcrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:27 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Dick's seats

Look at http://shop4seats.com/ i believe someone on here bought a set from them.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Might check into http://www.tmiproducts.com/trucks/chevy/1973-87.html as well.
No personal experience but have seen some ads for them & have a buddy looking at them for a current build.
They have some nice looking stuff!
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
gwcrim

Thanks for the replies. I've read every seat thread here about 5 time each. Seems like the aftermarket bolt in 40/20/40 seats either raise you up or don't go back far or sometimes both.

The sporty deep buckets with big bolsters might work OK but what do you do for a middle seat? Here's a great example.

http://corbeau.com/sport-reclining/sport-seat.html

I'm going to the salvage yard today. Maybe they'll have something nice. I feel like Goldilocks.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
tucsonjwt

I favor Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats - 2001-2002 model. They have integral seat belts, but you have to check to see that the inertial lock feature works without the power on (early 1997-2000 seats are like that, I think.) I have a pair of leather seats from a 2001 that will go in my 83. I got the center console out of the Chrysler but I don't think I will use it (too narrow and low for me.) I will build a wood console to fit the opening with a foam and cloth top cover. I have an SM 465 floor shifter so the console must be tailored to fit the long rearward throw.

I like the relative low rise back on the Sebring seats and the long travel on the headrests, since I am 6'1" and need that. The driver's seat has power adjustments and I like that also.

If you are looking at power seats in a junkyard here is a tip. Take the 18 volt battery out of your power drill and stick two pieces of solid copper wire (like 12 GA romex) into the two contacts of the battery. Get two pieces of stranded wire with alligator clips on the ends (like from a DC continuity tester or a multimeter, or just rig up two pieces of stranded wire with alligator clips on both ends.) Shove two solid wires into the contacts of the connector on the bottom of the power seat and connect those two wires with alligator clips to the wires coming from the battery. Operate the seat switch and verify that the seat motor is working properly. This process saves buying a seat with a bad motor. Make sure your battery is fully charged before going to the junkyard.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:42 AM   #6
andrewmp6

Jwall i didn't know tmi made anything for these trucks,I have used their recover kit for a mustang that made the oem seats in to sport seats it worked good and sit really nice.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
gwcrim

I've been hemming and hawing about this for months. Today I pulled the trigger. I ordered Corbeau Sport seats in black vinyl and cloth. I like that they are in stock for quick shipping. They have a removable head rest so I can use it if it fits or take it off for more room. There have modest bolsters to keep me in place but not so extreme as to make ingress and egress an issue... or so I hope. They price out pretty reasonably and shipping was cheaper than most. I'll post photos as I make progress.

http://corbeau.com/sport-seat.html
Old 07-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #8
JAG123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwcrim View Post
I've been hemming and hawing about this for months. Today I pulled the trigger. I ordered Corbeau Sport seats in black vinyl and cloth. I like that they are in stock for quick shipping. They have a removable head rest so I can use it if it fits or take it off for more room. There have modest bolsters to keep me in place but not so extreme as to make ingress and egress an issue... or so I hope. They price out pretty reasonably and shipping was cheaper than most. I'll post photos as I make progress.

http://corbeau.com/sport-seat.html

Please post pics !!
JAG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #9
gwcrim

The remaining piece to the puzzle will be what to do for a middle seat. I'm on it though.