The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Johnie

Second opinions on transmission problems

I'm working on my '64 long step that has a 283 and a Muncie 3 speed with an r10 overdrive. I rebuilt the motor and trans winter before last, but the clutch was replaced 5 years ago so I didn't replace any of those parts except the pilot bushing.

Everything was sweet as cream for a couple of thousand miles, but then it went sour. Sitting at a light with a slight hill, light turns green, I let out the clutch and BANG! It felt like I had been rear ended. Not a shudder, but a single sudden bang. It happens with the clutch all the way out, not as it is let out.

Grabbing the seat with my sphincter I ease iher back to the house, and it didn't give me any more trouble. I drove it a couple of thousand miles since, and the problem is random, but got worse and more frequent. I noticed the bell housing was wet with gear oil. So tonight I pulled the transmission expecting to see a dripping wet clutch disk. What I found was dry on the engine side, and a waxy scum on the transmission side.

Here are the questions:
1. I've never had a clutch slip like that. Is that how a greasy clutch slips?
2. I think the 4 bolts that hold the front bearing carrier were the cause of the leak. I didn't put anything on them and the holes go through. Carrier has a new gasket and the slinger is also new. The return drain was lined up and clear. Possible over filled too. Any other possible causes?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
Johnie

3 speed overdrive question

I'm pretty sure I over filled the transmission after rebuild and greased my clutch. The fill hole on the Muncie part is about the same level as the drain on the overdrive portion. I just now filled the gearbox, but left the fill plug out. Then filled the overdrive. In a short time the gearbox started puking oil.

Im sure they share oil, shouldn't they have the same fill level? It probably puked half a quart, which would easily put the level above the bottom of the bearing retainer.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Second opinions on transmission problems

Yes a contaminated clutch can do that. But I'd also look for a sticking clutch linkage or a sticking pressure plate. If it sticks then releases violently, that's exactly what will happen.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
Johnie

Unhappy Re: Second opinions on transmission problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
Yes a contaminated clutch can do that. But I'd also look for a sticking clutch linkage or a sticking pressure plate. If it sticks then releases violently, that's exactly what will happen.
Thanks for the reply storm - I suspected the linkage because my z bar setup was molested at some point in the past. It will get a good looking over. If it hangs up, would the pedal still feel and act normal? As for the pressure plate - a new disk and plate are going in.

I'm still not sure about the fluid level.