The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #1
ellisjay2

Stock Motor replacement project???

The motor locked up in my 87 2500 long bed and has been sitting for over a year now. I ve been wanting to find another stock 350 for it but have not come across whats in mind. I have the Sierra heavy duty model...8 lug hub...not sure rear end size...standard 350 5.7 to 350 tranny so im not looking for a performance motor. Correct me if im wrong but the fact that its a long bed and heavy duty model it would take more to convert truck from work horse to sporty type...after sitting and procrastinating..ive considered to pull whats in it and just have it rebuilt/ upgraded. Would love to do most of the work myself since ive never rebuilt or assembled one. (Current auto tech college student) Not trying to go all out with $$$ but just basic setup with fresh start / maybe a little stronger...

Truck has original 4 barrel quadrajet carb...mechanical fuel pump....dual tanks....350 tranny...

For better mpg would swapping to a 700r4 make a difference and how much trouble would it be being its a heavy duty??? Or is it not worth it???

Dont really know where to start but eager to attempt and bring truck back to life.....dont have a shop..this would be a backyard fix up....have basic tools....not sure what else to have....

Any advice...tips....or technical guidance im all ears ....

Would like to learn how to organize engine better from original sloppy look..but i know thats down the road for later....
Attached Images

86 gmc 2500 longbed Carb 5.7, rwd,
400 tranny.

Last edited by ellisjay2; 07-25-2016 at 11:03 PM.
ellisjay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
csdineley

Re: Stock Motor replacement project???

If it's an 86' then https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...7353/overview/

If it's an 87' then https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...8758/overview/

For just a stock replacement.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

What is your school's policy on students using the facilities/tools to work on personal vehicles?

Without knowing why the current engine seized up, estimating a repair bill is hard. It is often cheaper to replace a seized motor with a new crate motor that also has the benefit of a warranty. Another option is locating a wrecked truck with a good drive train.

From what your pictures show, you have a good starting point body wise to build up a nice daily driver truck.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
Mattchu60

For an 87 you should have had a 350 with the TBI system, its hard to tell from the pic but it almost looks like the wiring harness is still there (loose connectors next to the carb?). I believe that stock replacement would be one of the TBI 350s, either the 190 or 210 hp crate. I believe the 1 tons got the 190 hp engine and everything else got the 210 version.

If you are going to keep your carb setup, i would look at the Vortec L31 crate motor that makes approx 250 hp. Has roller cam and vortec heads and 4 bolt mains.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
ellisjay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
What is your school's policy on students using the facilities/tools to work on personal vehicles?

Without knowing why the current engine seized up, estimating a repair bill is hard. It is often cheaper to replace a seized motor with a new crate motor that also has the benefit of a warranty. Another option is locating a wrecked truck with a good drive train.

From what your pictures show, you have a good starting point body wise to build up a nice daily driver truck.
Motor seized up from overheating...cracked head..or gasket...coolant came out of cylinder 1...and 3...after pulling plugs...then was able to crank but loud knocking while running so damage had been done internally.

86 gmc 2500 longbed Carb 5.7, rwd,
400 tranny.
ellisjay2 is offline   Reply With Quote