The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2016, 02:49 AM   #1
AbigailAmelia

Does this work? Blitz plastic gas can nozzle to fix "always spill gas down side"

Hello,

Just like in the articles in the links below, I spill some gas when filling either side/tank on my 1977 GMC K25. I've had mixed luck with strong arming the nozzle against the truck (yes, in Southern California). I'd really, really like to not spill gas and waste money. We're moving to Oregon soon, where you can't pump your own gas, so this could get more expensive if the attendant isn't paying attention...

Has anyone tried this? "The trick is to use a funnel from the Blitz plastic gas cans. Just shove it in the filler neck the stick the nozzle in the funnel and wamo easy as one two three" (Article 2, Post #20).

Does this work? Or will it just make a bigger mess?

Thanks!

Michelle

Articles:

1) "Topic: Fill gas tank on 73 long bed, always spill gas down side." http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...topic=16646.15

2) "http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/i-hate-california-gas-pumps-anyone-else.694557/
===============
1977 GMC K25 Sierra Classic Long bed "Abigail Amelia"
1986 Jeep CJ7, 1973 Chevy K5 Blazer (Hubby's projects)
AbigailAmelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Does this work? Blitz plastic gas can nozzle to fix "always spill gas down side"

spend less time on the computer and more time learning how to use the gas nozzels and the problem is solved
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
AbigailAmelia

Re: Does this work? Blitz plastic gas can nozzle to fix "always spill gas down side"

Thanks?
===============
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

Many of us don't have to deal with the EPA restrictions they have in California . I'm sure some of the guys from out that way will have a GOOD answer to your question . google search the --mcCuff motorcycle spill protector

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/new-...e-58181-2.html

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 07-27-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
GR8-68

Wow !!

Sounds like it would work if you want carry that nozzle around with you

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
franken

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
spend less time on the computer and more time learning how to use the gas nozzels and the problem is solved
Maybe spend less time being a smartass and realize that squares have a low fillpoint and an almost horizontal run to the tank that tends to do as the OP says.

I have a late model truck that does the same, and has since it was new. I think the vent tube is pinched, but w/o removing the bed, its tough to say. The bed was actually removed and reinstalled by the dealer and the trouble went away for a while. Might check the vent tube...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #7
GR8-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Maybe spend less time being a smartass and realize that squares have a low fillpoint and an almost horizontal run to the tank that tends to do as the OP says.

I have a late model truck that does the same, and has since it was new. I think the vent tube is pinched, but w/o removing the bed, its tough to say. The bed was actually removed and reinstalled by the dealer and the trouble went away for a while. Might check the vent tube...
That is exactly right, I have owned three square bodies and every one of them was a pita to fill if you wasn't super careful just for the reasons mentioned

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 07-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
AbigailAmelia

Thank you Grumpy Old Man (you don't seem so bad... ), Franken, and GR8-68. Your input really helped and my McCuff (sport) is on its way.

Now to find a vintage (or at least metal) oil can spout. The RV article mentioned that a plastic nozzle might eventually degrade and add unwanted stuff to the tank. I wouldn't have thought of that, which is why newbies like me really rely on you folks! I'm sure Abigail will have plenty of problems without me creating more.

Michelle
===============
Old 07-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Wow. Mom used to say if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Welcome to the board, Michelle. Glad to have you here. Believe it or not, most of the folks here are helpful.

I live in California so am familiar with the nozzles but have no experience with filler tubes on squares so unfortunately cannot help you. Sounds like you may be on the right track, though, with the advice above. Good luck!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
kilrcady

we dont pump our own gas
kilrcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #11
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
Nearly 23,000 posts and you are telling the OP to spend less time on the computer? And from what I have seen/read, 22,500+ of them have been as "helpful" as this one.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #12
GR8-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Nearly 23,000 posts and you are telling the OP to spend less time on the computer? And from what I have seen/read, 22,500+ of them have been as "helpful" as this one.
bam !!!

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 07-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
Willie Makeit

Quote:
truth.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
Dirt's72

My 72 RV has those tanks and when I drove it from Cali to here getting gas in CA with those nozzles was a nightmare so I know what you are saying. Mine is a big block so I didn't miss many stations and CA is a long state. I've never see them nozzles on gas pumps anywhere else so those who haven't been to CA have not much of a clue what you are getting at. It took a long time and had to hold the handle at the perfect angle and get your tongue just right to get it to go. Good luck and let us know how it works for others mainly who live in California. Lol..no worries anywhere else.
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
GR8-68

So Ca has different nozzles on their pumps, hmm, that changes the whole outlook now. What do they look like ? Curiosity killed the cat you know

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailAmelia View Post
We're moving to Oregon soon,
Beware: Do not tell Oregonians that you are from California! The SNOBs (Society of Native Oregon Born) hate Californian transplants. Not so bad in southern Oregon, but in the Willamette Valley area if your vehicle has CA plates it will be vandalized.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #17
tommys72

Quote:

Pretty much nailed this on the head. Dont mind cdowns Michelle, he's just the grumpy troll under the bridge that pops out to offer his "wisdom"

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #18
AbigailAmelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Beware: Do not tell Oregonians that you are from California! The SNOBs (Society of Native Oregon Born) hate Californian transplants. Not so bad in southern Oregon, but in the Willamette Valley area if your vehicle has CA plates it will be vandalized.
SNOBs! That's awesome.

So I have heard! To make it worse, hubby works for hi tech -- the reason I must move away from my beloved South Orange County bubble -- giving the SNOBs a second reason to hate us. Yes indeed, moving right into enemy territory...the Silicon Forest of the Willamette Valley.

Yeah...bummer about the license plates; we ordered personalized plates for the K5 Blazer about a month before we realized we needed to move. Seriously...only 6 characters on Oregon plates?! I hate that. California has 7. Six characters will really limit my creativity.

But our neighbors and the local charities will hopefully hate us a tiny bit less when we volunteer and bust out pulled pork and beans cooked on our 17-foot Lang trailered smoker "Annabeth." :^)

Michelle
===============
Old 07-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #19
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailAmelia View Post
Yes indeed, moving right into enemy territory...the Silicon Forest of the Willamette Valley.
Not enemy territory really..... just friends you haven't met yet. Some of the most vocal Oregonians are actually California transplants themselves. Go figure.

Quote:
But our neighbors and the local charities will hopefully hate us a tiny bit less when we volunteer and bust out pulled pork and beans cooked on our 17-foot Lang trailered smoker "Annabeth." :^)
There ya go, you'll fit in just fine.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #20
cadillac_al

I couldn't find any special Blitz nozzle unless it's their standard nozzle/spout. It's kinda interesting why they went out of business; because of brain dead idiots.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma...t-of-business/
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #21
Dead Parrot

One thing that helps is to find a station on a bit of a slope. Pull in so the nose of the truck is pointed downhill. A few inches of drop can make a big difference both in ease of filling and how much you can get in.

It sucks that Blitz got sued out of business. I have a couple of their cans that are over 25 years old. Those lawsuits are why cans today are covered with stickers warning "Do not pour on burning fire"
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #22
f.monroe

Best thing To do is find a gas station that the area around the gas pump slopes away and downward from the pump. Park with the tank side higher than the opposite side of the truck. This will give a little angle to the filler neck. Doesn't take much of an angle to create a natural flow down into the tank. This will keep the fuel from backing up in the level part of the filler neck. The front lower than the rear of the truck will help also like previously mentioned. I have seen farmers in my area pull out a piece of 4"×6" wood post with an angle cut on one and lay it in front of the back tire. They then drive forward and pull the rear tire up on the block creating a little lean. Works pretty good.

Is the blitz funnel metal? If not don't use it.

Now for my opinion on using a funnel in the tank.........Bad Idea.
The filler necks are metal and most funnels are plastic. The hose ,swivels,and nozzles are statically bonded to dissipate the static electricity created when the fuel moves through the hose at a rapid rate to ground. It creates a bond with the vehicle when the metal spout of the nozzle contacts the metal filler neck. If you use a plastic funnel it will break that bond and can result in the static charge jumping across the funnel from the nozzle to the filler neck. That spark can and does ignite fuel vapors. I have seen the results of fuel tank fires before. I have been in the fueling industry for 25 years and have seen these kind of issues before. It doesn't happen often but it does happen and the vehicles and the fuel dispensers usually sustain a good amount of fire damage. In some situations people get burned also.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:17 AM   #23
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
So Ca has different nozzles on their pumps, hmm, that changes the whole outlook now. What do they look like ? Curiosity killed the cat you know
here ya go Larry:
Attached Images

'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #24
cadillac_al

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
here ya go Larry:
Oh I despise those pumps. I would even consider moving to another state if I was forced to use those things all the time.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:33 AM   #25
andrewmp6

And make sure your gas tank vent isn't clogged up,That can make it a pain to pump gas in any thing.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote