The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
neverfinished52

47-53 Carpet?

Looking to get new carpet for my 52. So many places sell them, no clue which is the best for the price. I'd prefer something that goes pretty high up the firewall if possible. Would like to keep it less than $200 or so. Any suggestions, pics, etc??? Thanks
neverfinished52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 47-53 Carpet?

If the floor is stock with no extra hump probably any of the top name vendors would work. If the floor is modified I'd be going to a local upholstery shop and have it done even if it cost quite a bit more.

You may have to go up or down I 35 a bit to find a deal that is close to what you want to spend but I'd think between Waco and San Antonio there are dozens of shops that can do it for a right price.

Best thing is probably hit a few local shows and check the interiors of rigs there and ask the owners who did the interior and carpet when you see something that you like that would work for you. Most guys are willing to tell you who did the work and even more willing to tell how they like it or don't like what they have.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
neverfinished52

Thanks. I have stock floor no hump. I'd love to see some pics of some installed. Wanting one that goes higher up the firewall.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #4
joedoh

I will give you a tip if you are buying online, you dont have to shop a hundred different places, just two. in my research it turns out that 99% of the auto carpets offered online originate at one of two places, accmats and stockinteriors, and that both of them are produced in the same factory. I cant remember which one is the manufacturer off the top of my head, but I will tell you that its not hard to ask for extra material to be left on the front to back measurement and its a little harder but not impossible to ask for a little material to be left on the side to side measurement.

I built a 65 C10 using a 98 s10 frame and drivetrain and transplanted the s10 floor into the C10, so it had s10 floor contours but was almost 7 inches wider on each side. In calling accmats and stockinteriors, one said that they would have to call the factory to see if they could leave that much on each side, the other said the carpet was made right there. they got close, I only had to patch in about two inches per side. so if you have a flat floor and the seat riser has been removed (so you would need a different kit than someone with a factory riser), and you also want it to come up higher on the firewall, all you have to do is tell them and they will make it.

Now, that said, I will tell you that its not even hard to get a flat piece of carpet and make your own kit. both companies sell carpet by the yard and its pretty cheap. on my 47, I actually used the leftover extra I bought with the 65 kit to make my own carpet kit, there are studs sticking up out of the floor to hold it in place and the door jamb has pieces that allow you to cover the rough edge. it looked amazing and took I am not kidding about an hour to install. just measure, order carpet by the yard, and install it.

my photobucket was trying hard to get me to pay for an account, so I deleted about 500 pictures, but I will upload the carpet picture again and edit my post.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
neverfinished52

Wow, great post. Lots of great information. I think I will just buy it by yard