The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
chev-obsession

Question Looking for opinion, cutting down LWB to SWB

Hey guys, I have been looking at a lot of trucks on CL. It seems that a SWB truck never comes up for sale that would make a good project. And when they do they are triple the money (duh) and even harder to find a 71-72 in decent shape.

So I started looking at a few threads to see what it would take to cut a LWB down to a SWB. Looks like a lot of work for some but maybe a fun project for others like myself.

So my question is would it be worth spending the time to cut down a LWB and resell it as a SWB? Would it add any value to the truck? I'm not asking what it's worth when it's all said and done with.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 AM   #2
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Re: Looking for opinion, cutting down LWB to SWB

IMO that is a BAD idea. Go to a junkyard and buy a SWB frame to do the job correctly. They are rare in junkyards, I know, but not impossible to find. The running ones are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
Overdriven

Cutting a lwb truck down to swb isn't going to increase its value IMO. Forget the whole originality thing. We're talking fairly major surgery here and if it's not done right you've got a big mess on your hands. That's exactly what is going through a buyers mind when you tell them it's been cut down. Educating them on the process (through their own research), build pics and a thorough inspection would help to ease a buyers mind but even then who knows. Afterall the buyer still needs to trust your measuring and if the welds are painted over they can't see much if they even know what a good weld looks like.

My opinion, don't shorten a truck unless it's for yourself. If you think you're going to sell it eventually, leave it alone or get a swb frame. Or have a reputable shop do it and save the receipt, that might make them more willing to buy it but not necessarily pay swb prices.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:39 AM   #4
cdowns

lots of guys with great expectations end up selling them for scrap or they go for a forelorn death in the dumpster loads of butcher jobs available at major swaw meets from what I've seen
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
lots of guys with great expectations end up selling them for scrap or they go for a forelorn death in the dumpster loads of butcher jobs available at major swaw meets from what I've seen
I'd say fear of a butcher job is the number one fear of a buyer and I tried to elude to that in my post. Never know what's under that shiny paint, throw in major surgery and buyers get even more wary.

I remember watching a shortened 67-68 fleet side truck on eBay being sold by a shop. No rust, whole truck was in primer and you could see the bedsides were done well, nice interior, nice wheels and tires, solid driveline (big block? v8 auto) and suspension with discs up front. It was on there for like 6 months and it wouldn't crack $6k. Meanwhile untouched swb 6cyl trucks without much rust that need complete resto go for about $5k.

Sure the untouched trucks are more desirable because nobody screwed with them. But being shortened made this truck almost untouchable even though it was done by a shop that claimed to do a few of them a year.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

I built my 81 C10 SWB using a rusted out wreck that I bought from a neighbor and titled in my name. I stripped off the rusted dented metal, leaving the cab, axles, and frame. Then I bought the pristine doors, mags, fenders, bumpers, and box from wrecked trucks. This is what I would recommend for your SWB project. Find one with a decent cab in a junkyard with wheels (and whatever else happens to be good) and title it in your name. Then whatever else you happen to do to it also become yours!
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
tinydb84

I cut my truck up a bunch. If you plan on keeping it do it.

If you don't have the skill to do it yourself you can use the No Limit rear rail kit to do it. If you plan on bagging you could use the Choppin Block kit to do it as well.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
chev-obsession

Thanks for all of your opinion. That will definatly change my outlook!
Posted via Mobile Device
chev-obsession is offline   Reply With Quote