The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
curvedglass

Spit & Sputter = Starvation ???

I have about 15k on my Weber 32/36 electric choke 2 -bbl I bought from Langdons. I am using the 2 to 1 adapter. I installed the recommended in-line fuel filter and my fuel pump went in a few thousand miles before the carb.

The other day I am on my way home, rowing through the three speeds and when I get to third it starts to spit and sputter. Wasn't taking the fuel and would stall. I could get it to start again and same thing - first and second gear move along ok then when I get in to third, it wasn't getting / taking the fuel. After a couple miles of this I gave up and called AAA.

Any ideas what I should look at on the carb? I was planning to replace the pump since they are cheap (which is why it might already be bad) and the filter.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Spit & Sputter = Starvation ???

After having similar problems and replacing pumps blindly, I learned my lesson. I now temporarily plumb in a fuel pressure gauge (usually with a simple tee, some clamps, and a really long rubber hose). Run the hose through the cowl and duct tape it to the windshield or whatever you need to do to watch it while you drive.

If the pump is bad or not producing enough volume to keep the bowl full, you will see the fuel pressure drop to zero during your test drive. If pressure remains good, then it's not a fuel delivery problem. But perhaps rather a float problem in the carb.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
88Ironduke

Have the same carb.... subscribed....

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #4
dh81k30

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvedglass View Post
I have about 15k on my Weber 32/36 electric choke 2 -bbl I bought from Langdons. I am using the 2 to 1 adapter. I installed the recommended in-line fuel filter and my fuel pump went in a few thousand miles before the carb.

The other day I am on my way home, rowing through the three speeds and when I get to third it starts to spit and sputter. Wasn't taking the fuel and would stall. I could get it to start again and same thing - first and second gear move along ok then when I get in to third, it wasn't getting / taking the fuel. After a couple miles of this I gave up and called AAA.

Any ideas what I should look at on the carb? I was planning to replace the pump since they are cheap (which is why it might already be bad) and the filter.
curvedglass,

If you don't have electronic ignition of some type, check your points and replace the condenser before worrying much about carb or fueling issues. I once had the same type of issue with a car with the same type carb. I ended up tearing into the carb on the side of an interstate in the middle of nowhere. I found no issue in the carb when I was sure I would find trash in a jet. Not the problem - turned out to be a bad condenser. also check for vacuum leaks.

Good luck,
Old 08-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
luvbowties

Question Re: Spit & Sputter = Starvation ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvedglass View Post

Don't forget to check the small coil-to-distributor wire--they can break continuity inside the insulation w/no outer-visible problem.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
curvedglass

Pump and filter change. Pump was the key. Once I had it out you could hear that the diaphragm was fouled up. Changed out my metal inline filter for a nice glass Mr. Gasket unit with cartridge filters.