The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
tetfemal

51 Chevy --> s10 swap question?

I am trying to determine if it matters whether or not you start with a 1/2, 3/4, or a 1 ton chevy truck if you plan on swapping the chassis to a s10 chassis?
tetfemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: 51 Chevy --> s10 swap question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetfemal View Post
I am trying to determine if it matters whether or not you start with a 1/2, 3/4, or a 1 ton chevy truck if you plan on swapping the chassis to a s10 chassis?

not really, the cab and front ends on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks were the same as 1/2 ton. 1 1/2 ton and larger though have a totally different hood and fenders and grille. I like using grain trucks, they are in pretty good shape from spending most of their life in a shed.

except for the obvious badging differences though, most 3/4 and 1 tons were flat beds or long stepside beds, so if a shortbed is your goal you will need a short bed and shortbed running boards. look at coach's thread in the project section, he used a long bed on his project and its great.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:50 AM   #3
MiraclePieCo

The only caveat is that 1/2 ton trucks fit the longbed S10 chassis without length modifications to either, while 3/4 ton trucks fit the extended cab S10 chassis (we're including box length here).
It's always possible to alter the wheelbase of the S10 frame, or change the box length on the Chevy truck, but why not just start out with the appropriate combination? Like this:

SHORTBEDS (116" W.B.) USE ANY YEAR OF S10 LONGBED DONOR (118" W.B.)
LONGBEDS (125" W.B.) USE ANY YEAR OF S10 EXTENDED-CAB DONOR (123" W.B.)
Old 08-10-2016, 01:50 AM   #4
tetfemal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
The only caveat is that 1/2 ton trucks fit the longbed S10 chassis without length modifications to either, while 3/4 ton trucks fit the extended cab S10 chassis (we're including box length here).
It's always possible to alter the wheelbase of the S10 frame, or change the box length on the Chevy truck, but why not just start out with the appropriate combination? Like this:

SHORTBEDS (116" W.B.) USE ANY YEAR OF S10 LONGBED DONOR (118" W.B.)
LONGBEDS (125" W.B.) USE ANY YEAR OF S10 EXTENDED-CAB DONOR (123" W.B.)
I can't not find a decent truck for a decent price. A 51 1 ton recently became available for a reasonable price.

My goal was to build a bagged chevy using a s10 frame, camero rear end, with an ls1 motor
Old 08-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
joedoh

51 one ton will work, should have a 9 ft bed if its not a flatbed, there is no s10 chassis that will fit a 9 ft bed so you will probably be shortening it.

advice that will help you at this stage is to be sure and title and register your project before you start working on it. it is much easier to do VIN inspections and registrations before you change the frame and engine, then update the reg when the work is done.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
b-mac

Cut the box, or get a new one. I see some guys (that are better than me) even fab their own bedsides.

I don't know what kind of money you're talking about, but I wouldn't let this stop you in either direction.

If you're like me, it doesn't end up going as simply as this swap seems anyway, and you're bound to have to "figure out a way". I wouldn't let this effect my decision.

Decide what wheelbase you want and go for it.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
tetfemal

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
Cut the box, or get a new one. I see some guys (that are better than me) even fab their own bedsides.

I don't know what kind of money you're talking about, but I wouldn't let this stop you in either direction.

If you're like me, it doesn't end up going as simply as this swap seems anyway, and you're bound to have to "figure out a way". I wouldn't let this effect my decision.

Decide what wheelbase you want and go for it.
I could get a the 1 ton flatbed for a pretty decent price, but Ive been searching for a bed and or parts and it seems like the bed panels would end up costing two times as much as the actual truck. I stopped by a salvage yard today that had some pretty beat up panels are they quoted me more than what I would be paying for the truck.

Financial it wouldn't make sense to get the 1 ton in hopes of finding a bed
Old 08-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #8
vintovka

I chose an 84 k10 as the wheels fit within 2 inches on the 54. There some pics in my post above. The s10 conversions weren't available to me at the time (1986) but I still would pick the 70-80 k or c as a chassis as it was an fairly easy swap and got all the goodies like steering, 350, a/c.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
Midge725

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
I chose an 84 k10 as the wheels fit within 2 inches on the 54. There some pics in my post above. The s10 conversions weren't available to me at the time (1986) but I still would pick the 70-80 k or c as a chassis as it was an fairly easy swap and got all the goodies like steering, 350, a/c.

Correct me if I wrong but didn't the c10's sit higher up the what an s10 does?

Which would be pretty cool to have it set up with 4x4, ps, pb, and ac.
Midge725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Only issue I have with putting a ad on a full size truck chassis being either 2 or 4 wheel drive is the axles are to wide for the ad body..tires will hang outside the fenders.and the body has to sit pretty high to clear the tires...mine is sitting on a 69 4x4 chassis now and half the tire sticks outside the fender.and its got skinny mudgrips on it.
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:04 AM   #11
tetfemal

Plan on picking these up on Tuesday and was wondering a few things. The cab is a 47 5 Window and the truck is a 54-55, both are a 1/2 ton.

Are the fenders, hood, doors, etc interchangeable?

Old 08-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Only issue I have with putting a ad on a full size truck chassis being either 2 or 4 wheel drive is the axles are to wide for the ad body..tires will hang outside the fenders.and the body has to sit pretty high to clear the tires...mine is sitting on a 69 4x4 chassis now and half the tire sticks outside the fender.and its got skinny mudgrips on it.
Yes they stick out a bit but supposedly adds t cool look. I plan on moving the front axle forward 2" to center in the wheel well. Its never hit. i've covered some rough terrain too with full loads of unseasoned oak. does.t seem to fling mud too much. I didn't have any choice back when due to $$.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote