The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
Rust-O-Matic

Dipstick goes into side of pan, not block? Can't find new one?

I put a pair of headers (hooker 2466hkr) on the late 70s 305 sbc that's in my '66, and now my dipstick won't work. I put a couple extra bends in it and got the tube to fit, but the stick itself won't slide in and out anymore, because it isn't flexible enough to navigate the extra bends.

So I started looking at flexible ones online, like the Lokar version, but they all look too short. It looks like most of the dipsticks I have seen are meant to go into the side of the block, but mine goes into the side of the pan on the driver side, not the block. Does anybody know what variation of engine/pan I have, so I know what dipstick to search for? I can get a pic if needed, but there isn't much to see. Just an inch or so of tube sticking out of the side of my oil pan, that accepts the bottom end of the dipstick tube. Thanks!
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Rust-O-Matic

Re: Dipstick goes into side of pan, not block? Can't find new one?

I found a part number on the dipstick I have, 464624 M. According to the ebay links that come up on google, it's the original dipstick for a 78-79 monte/malibu/el camino. I still can't seem to find a flexible replacement (or even just a new stock/aftermarket replacement in better shape than mine). The ones listed online for passenger side applications are similar dimenions to the one I have, even though mine goes into the driver side of the oil pan. Does anybody know if one of those will work?
Old 08-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
MikeN

The Lokar stick worked great on my 64 with 350 and Hookers, but the stick went into the block (drivers side) on my 350, not the oil pan.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
Rust-O-Matic

Yeah the Lokar is kinda what I figured I'd have to use, but I can't seem to find one that is meant to go into the pan. The ones that go into the block are way too short. The tube for the one that was on my engine is almost 2 feet long. I thought about emailing Lokar, but not knowing what vehicle the engine came from, I'm not sure what to ask em.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
61K10

try one for a big block as they go into the pan (mine did anyway) call lokar?

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Rust-O-Matic

I should just put you on speed dial, 61K10, so you can answer all of my dumb questions haha. I got your PS brackets all painted up and installed the other day, still need to post pics.

Anyway, yeah I had the same thought about the big block dipsticks. I'll probably take mine up to the local parts store and compare to whatever they have in stock. I emailed Lokar late last night, and they wrote me back this morning to say they don't offer a specific dipstick for my engine, but might be able to come up with something that will work if I provide them some dimensions.

I fiddled around with mine a little more last night and got it to fit with the headers. It's tight and not exactly ideal, but it will probably work. It's rusty and not in great shape though, so I'd still like to find a replacement if possible.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
61K10

glad i can be of some help at times, been doing the car/truck stuff a long time. I knew what you were talking about as i have a 305 setting in my garage with the pan dip stick.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote