The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
FB85C10

Rear Suspension

I have a 1985 C10 shortbed that is pretty much going to be just for the street and not for the drag strip. Im putting in a LS1 with a turbo in the truck, along with a 9" rear. i have my stock leaf spring located on the inside of the frame rails now but would like to switch it up to handle the motor setup. just not sure what would handle the power in this application. i want something that will hold up to what ever i throw at it bacially. i would like to use the stock frame and just add to it. i like the leaf spring idea but any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

Leaf Spring Setup:
caltrac split-mono leaf spring
caltrac traction bars
caltract 9way shocks

4link / 4bar Setup:
4link/4bar with coilovers

etc:
FB85C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
urmyboyblue

Re: Rear Suspension

I would go with a 4 link with a set of coil overs if you have the money. I had ladder bars and could not stand all the binding in the suspension (normal for ladder bars) and the rough ride. I went to a torque arm set up and love it. 4 links don't bind if you set them up parallel for street driving. You can adjust them for traction at the track.

There is really nothing wrong with leafs if you have traction bars. Do a little research on fast cars with leafs and what they do to hook them. For an engine that will probably produce no more than 700 HP, it would be the least amount of money and time and work well.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote