The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Nate003

frame swap question

I have a 67 lwb with good cab and fenders and grille and hood, but i wanna put that stuff on a 67 swb frame that i picked up yesterday, my question is, i'm new to swapping frames, so how do i lift the cab off the frame, so i can put it on a new frame? can i just jack it up and put 4 jack stands at each corner and roll the frame out from underneath it and then roll the new frame under it and lower it, or will the frame wanna hit the jack stands. I just figured i'd ask before i tried, since it's easier to talk to people that have already done it then it is to waste time trying stuff that doesn't work. the 67 swb has a cab and fenders and hood on it too, but it's all trashed and rusted out big time. i apprieciate any info you guys can give me. Thanks, nate
Nate003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #2
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Your wheels would probably hit the jackstands, but you might could use some metal beams to space the stands out from the wheels. So when you rolled the frame out it would not touch.
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 02:19 PM   #3
progress
Gotta luv a clean shave

I have used a chain hoist on an ovehead beam in my garage. Make sure the beam is sturdy enough to hold the 400 lb or so cab (with doors removed). Remove the glass too if you really want to make it light...then it will be about 300 lbs.

You can lift it with an engine hoist too by putting 4x4's inside the cab and put the top of the engine hoist under the 4x4. Roll the chassis out from under the cab and sit it on rollers to move around. Or just get 4 friends to help lift and move it.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
frmtruktuckn22s

i did the same thing not to long ago. i used a cinder blocks and angle iron and rolled the frame out. i had to jack it up pretty high, and it was pretty unstable. i would suggest stripping the cab as much as possible and getting about four people to lift it. i wish i would have done it that way. those are the only ways that i know of. hopefully someone will post a better way to do it. hope that helps.
frmtruktuckn22s is offline   Reply With Quote