The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
forestb

dynamat and ac

If I am planning on putting a dynamat like material all the way up the fire wall should I install that before I install an ac? Also should I install my under dash ac before I have carpet installed? I am jut wondering what order i should do things in.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: dynamat and ac

To get it to stick WELL you will need a CLEAN dry, oil and dirt free surface. I did the entire interior of my El Camino (floor, back of cabin, roof, firewall, bottom of dash, A and B pillars, door outer skin and inner shell,,,, yes what can I say, I LOVE my music and HATE road noise)

I started with a fresh metal that had been media blasted, then epoxy primed. The as I was ready to mat an area I wiped it down with a paint prep solvent that removes oils silicone etc. Let it dry for a few minutes and started sticking the heavy dynamat on. So far it's sticking even on the roof in the Az 115° heat and cabin temps well over 130°+ sitting in the sun.
I guess all I'm getting at there is PREP IS EVERYTHING!!! It won't stick to a dirty oily surface worth a crap.

I'd cover the firewall, and then start mounting your AC and all. I'm sure it won't be the first time you are back in there to make holes or mouts for things so keep some of the mat on hand. Oh, and BTW, the 3-M foil tape for duct work works very well to seal the seams of the dynamat so nothing can get under it.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
forestb

so should I install the dynamat than the ac and then take it to get carpet?
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I wish I had pictures,, but yes. I'd do the mat on a completely empty, clean interior before ANYTHING else.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
spacedebris

If it were me, and this is just my personal opinion. I'd install the sound (I'm using lizard skin myself but dynamat is another excellent option), THEN carpet, and finally the AC. In that order.

Mostly because I like the look of a finished carpet and by putting the carpet under the AC it will put the carpets edges under the AC. Any time I can "hide" the edges of the carpet the better. IMO it makes it look more professional. Although when done right, seeing the edges is not necessarily a bad thing.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
LT1 Burb

Dynamat first, then AC, then carpet.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
Samz

That's what I did in my '60. I did the dynamite, AC then the carpet.