The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
Coldshot

Frame question, not s10

Been thinking of a new option for a frame to swap onto seeing as everyone uses the ls motors from trucks. Has anyone tried a 2000+ Silverado/Sierra frame?
I know it will need to be shorted some but the smallest wheel base one is 119"

I'm currently trying to find more measurements for where the cab would sit. I think that part will need to be narrowed a bit.

Besides that what else would need to be done besides brackets and the normal body swap stuff?

I'm thinking of giving this a go as I can get a beat up old work truck for around 2k now a days. I'd like to use as much of the truck as possible and the track width I can make work as I'm already planning to radius the fenders and attempt to widen them at some point maybe.

Please give input if you have info on the frame. I know a guy on here did a COA on one that looks amazing.

And yes I know about how perfect the s10 one is. I already have it going on one.
Coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Frame question, not s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Been thinking of a new option for a frame to swap onto seeing as everyone uses the ls motors from trucks. Has anyone tried a 2000+ Silverado/Sierra frame?
I know it will need to be shorted some but the smallest wheel base one is 119"

I'm currently trying to find more measurements for where the cab would sit. I think that part will need to be narrowed a bit.

Besides that what else would need to be done besides brackets and the normal body swap stuff?

I'm thinking of giving this a go as I can get a beat up old work truck for around 2k now a days. I'd like to use as much of the truck as possible and the track width I can make work as I'm already planning to radius the fenders and attempt to widen them at some point maybe.

Please give input if you have info on the frame. I know a guy on here did a COA on one that looks amazing.

And yes I know about how perfect the s10 one is. I already have it going on one.

the suspension is a lot wide for a 1/2 ton body, fasttoys47 has the coe and i think the wheels were almost too wide on it. if you used 1 1/2 front fenders and widened the bed, it would probably be ok, but the frame kickup is pretty tall on the late model stuff so you wouldnt have much bed depth.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
47 Fasttoys

Joedoh is correct, I built the COE on a 2003 Silverado 1500 chassis. Just for reference I recorded some track widths while looking for a donor:
Front track width Chevy Silverado 2000-06 1/2 ton 65"
Front track width Chevy Astro 65.1"
Front track width Chevy COE 61.3"-63.3"
Front track width Chevy 1/2 (70s-80s 1/2,3/4 ton) 65.8"
Front track width Chevy 1/2 (2007-13 1/2,3/4 ton) 68"
Front track width Chevy 1/2 (88-99 1/2,3/4 ton), the 2WD version is not torsion bar and may be usable 63"-65" Front track width Chevy 1/2 (70s-80s 1/2,3/4 ton)
Front track width Chevy Trailblazer, Buick Rainier, GMC ? (2003-09). 63"

Hope this info helps, for a larger truck (1 1/2 ton and up) late model stuff works well, for a smaller truck 1/2 3/4 etc. a Dodge Dakota is close on the track width but then it's a Dodge! Oh, and thanks for the complement, I drive it every day and it has worked out great.
Rob

Last edited by 47 Fasttoys; 08-15-2016 at 07:29 PM.
47 Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
mr48chev

There is a guy on facebook that goes by Purple Monkey KHe ustoms that slaps about one a week on one of those chassis. People seem to be happy with the trucks they get from him though.

He posts a lot on the 47-54 GM trucks technical info and swapmeet group that several members here are on.

You might take a look at his photos.

To me the Dakota chassis would be a better chassis but get a V6 or V8 chassis as brakes and rear axle are wimpy on the 4 cylinder chassis.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
Coldshot

Thanks a lot guys.
I'm in the middle of building my own frame out of an s10 frame and supra suspension. I don't want to give up on it but I'd like to be driving sooner and this seems like a cheaper way to get driving. I have a 6.0l already and a second set of heads and intake so that's why I'd like to do the late model frame with all the wiring harness.

The supra stuff I'm using right now is 61" wide and sits perfect on the wheel wells, but I'm building the truck to track a bit and have fun with so cutting out the fenders for wider track width is fine with me and I'll practic body work so one day I'll widen them.

Thanks again
Old 08-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #6
MiraclePieCo

There was a local AD truck with a Toyota PU frame. Had a great stance and drove perfect.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
Coldshot

One thing I want to know is what the width of the Silverado frame is where the cab will line up? If it's not to much wider then I'd be open cutting the cab a bit.

Thanks again guys
Old 08-18-2016, 01:55 AM   #8
55dude

don't limit your options, toyota and later ford ranger trucks are great setups!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Coldshot

My mind is open but I'm looking at the drivetrain. If I use the Silverado/seirra then the motor, Trans and wiring are all there.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
My mind is open but I'm looking at the drivetrain. If I use the Silverado/seirra then the motor, Trans and wiring are all there.
well but they may not be, the chance of the motor being in exactly the right spot is slim. a v8 really only fits in one spot in a 47-55. then you still have to adapt all the pedals and column and wiring and cover the trans poking up through and build a bed floor and on and on.

47fasttoys is a machine and powered right through because he knew what he wanted and how to get it done, but he is the exception, lots more guys will try and even more will talk about how easy it is because they have seen it done, only a small percentage will actually finish.

I have seen your other build so I know you have the welding and fab experience to make it work, but there is no such thing as free lemonade, the work that takes the most time is NOT the body mounting, its the everything else. guys get all worked up on "frame swap or not to frame swap" when really that is the easiest part, mounting the body.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
Coldshot

Agreed
My other project is actually this project. I'm trying to come up with a less expensive way to get me rolling. I'm about to propose to the gf so this puts a crunch on time and money. I'm still planning to finish my other frame but when I calculate the costs of the direction it's going it gets really expensive very quickly.

My brother is a wiring geek so chasing circuits and dealing the harness over will be a task but a doable one. The later model trucks have the engine farther back witch should line up close to where it needs to be. But I'll move it a bit if I have to.
It the appeal of getting pretty much all the parts that actually all work in one shot that's pushing me towards this for the time being.

Thanks tho, I like the feedback
Old 08-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #12
joedoh

well, good luck then. it might be that you see it as less work no matter how far along you already are, but it looks a lot like starting over from my admittedly outside perspective. especially if you have to widen the fenders and all that.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #13
Coldshot

Your kinda right It is starting over and will be about the same amount of work. But the time killer is saving money to buy a part at a time and it just sitting there till I get it. This way I'll always have something to do. As for the fenders I'm gonna put wide tired all around so I was already planning to radius them.