The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2016, 04:36 AM   #1
dwalt14

67-72 crew cab dually??

Anybody know if there is anybody that builds the crew cab duallys? Ive only seen 1 or 2 crew cab duallys so i dont know if there is anybody that builds them or if its just a 1 off project
dwalt14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 67-72 crew cab dually??

Any crewcabs built now are custom jobs. The factory never produced this configuration, but back-in-the-day several contractors offered various specialty rigs to oil companies, big contractors, municipalities, railroads etc., anyone with the money to have a brand new truck butchered to their specifications. That's why there are so many variations: "king'' cabs, 3-Door crew cabs, 4-Door crew cabs, 4-Door Suburbans. Some with Suburban type doors, some with fore-and-aft front type doors. Some 1/2 tons, mostly 3/4 and 1 tons [dually].
This subject has been covered a lot in the past.
GM had a government contract for CUCVs from '67 thru '72. Dodge got the bid in '73 because they production-built crewcabs for the USAF's requirement for a 3+3 crew cab pickup truck for running Titan Missile crews from the airbases out to the outlying silos.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:15 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: 67-72 crew cab dually??

Since there is not an abundant supply of the two vehicles required to make the one truck there is no enterprise to produce multiple units. It is an owner preference one-off custom job that has become a trend. Yet, a very rare site due to above explanation. They are pretty cool, but not for me. I'd like to see less crew cab builds and more Suburbans preserved. Those are short bed crew cabs with enclosed bed you can access from inside. A custom truck in their own right straight from the factory. In their day they were the only one, other than IH Travelalls. Ford and Dodge missed that boat, but they built the crewcabs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote