The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
WOLFMANmike

bolt in after market bump stops for our trucks lowered by springs only ?

hey guys do any of you guys that are lowered only by springs AND NOT drop spindles know if they make bolt in bump stops for our factory control arms ? if so where do i get them at ? and are they different sizes per amount of drop my truck has the top bump stops but the PO cut my bottoms out ... are you spring guys even using bump stops ? if not how are you guys stopping the drop shocks from topping out and destroying the shock ?
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Southcity

Re: bolt in after market bump stops for our trucks lowered by springs only ?

I (and many others on this board) bought new stock bump stops, cut them down a bit by lopping some off the top (straight across) and then re-shaping it to a cone shape, then re-install. Cheap and works well, you can customize to any height required for you vehicle/drop. fyi - a dremel tool works great for this mod. Start by modifying the height and make a straight cut across the top of the bump stop, just a little at first, you can always cut more later if you need to, I used a hack saw for this. Then use a dremel with a sanding wheel attachment to shape it. Took me about an hour to do the front bump stops start to finish and installed. There are some threads with pics on this board if you have time to do a little searching. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
I (and many others on this board) bought new stock bump stops, cut them down a bit by lopping some off the top (straight across) and then re-shaping it to a cone shape, then re-install. Cheap and works well, you can customize to any height required for you vehicle/drop. fyi - a dremel tool works great for this mod. Start by modifying the height and make a straight cut across the top of the bump stop, just a little at first, you can always cut more later if you need to, I used a hack saw for this. Then use a dremel with a sanding wheel attachment to shape it. Took me about an hour to do the front bump stops start to finish and installed. There are some threads with pics on this board if you have time to do a little searching. Good luck!
I'm afraid I can't use stock ones the stupid PO cut out the stock mounts off the control arms so I was hoping you all had an idea of some kind of bolt on one and if it's even ok to drill a hole in the control arms without making it weak and having failure or some kind ... but that's if the even make a bolt in I wanna shoot the PO lol
Old 08-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
Southcity

Apologies, missed that part when reading your first post. If you do an internet search for "universal bump stops" they do make bolt in ones (i.e. Energy Suspension, Daystar) which may work in your particular case. Drilling a hole in the control arm to properly mount it is not going to hurt it, I have a buddy that did this with his 67 and it worked well.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

This site has a few, you can also back up a page on it and see more of them: http://www.truckspring.com/suspensio...p/stepped.aspx
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
WOLFMANmike

Thank you guys for your help