The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
DJ_Baar

Question Eaton H052 Brakes --- More Bearing Confusion?

OK, 1967 C20 with Eaton H052 differential - putting brakes back together and followed http://www.66submarine.com/eatonffaxle/hubs.html instructions, so far so good (asked about grease other day). But read that "The outer bearing is retained by a snap ring inside the hub and comes out from the inside (should be pretty self-explanatory)." No it appears that outer bearing race was pressed in place? Service manual says to press the bearing assembly from hub and then pressed back in noting that "the bearing cup-to-retainer seating procedure is essential to assure that an accurate wheel bearing adjustment will be obtained, and that the adjustment will not loosen during vehicle operation."

WoW, I feel like I stepped in dog poop and can't get the stink off. HELP!?

Pictures show hub, then breaking it down to grease bearings and got stuck on outer bearing after removing the ring. (New inner seal in picture - trashed old one getting it out.)
Attached Images

DJ_Baar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:24 AM   #2
swamp rat

Re: Eaton H052 Brakes --- More Bearing Confusion?

From the inside tap the bearing to the outside just enough to remove the snap ring, then flip the hub over and use a small pin pinch to go thru the axle bolt holes to tap it out. I covered this in my build thread.

Post 34 and 35 on page 2.. link below.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 08-31-2016 at 01:30 AM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
DJ_Baar

Swamp Rat,

Thank you for sharing your build thread. I can relate to working around rain. I have a garage, but that long bed ... is LONG (I plan to move some things around before for more depth to garage space once I get brakes totally done & its rolling again before I tackle cab and HVAC issues.)

I managed to get snap ring out without tapping bearing further out, frankly didn't think of that. I will do that with other side. And pulled-out around inside bearing race just rolling it out. Also the drum brakes appears deeper, as I could NOT get a decent set of pliers on em like you show, (need longer heavy pliers). Used pry bars and heavy screw drivers to compress and roll the snap ring out.

* Guess I better replace these bearings, outer feels rough. Questions:
** Replace both bearings and races (sold separately)?
*** Achieve correct depth of outer race?

Thank you for your feedback. Only info I found was pound 'em out.

R/
DJ

PS. I see you put wood under jack stands on concrete driveway, does that help keep them from sliding?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
DJ_Baar

Wow - note picture. I started with brass punch that was biggest yet fit inside thru threaded holes & it cork screwed (picture after straightening on anvil). Then went to steel and it was bending (again picture after straightening). I thought I had soaked already with enough penetrating oil - but apparently NOT. Letting it soak-in with more penetrating oil. I had thought to use slide hammer with bearing attachment - but this is inside pulling inside - so brake drum hub is on workbench. Hopefully penetrating oil and maybe another punch will do the job?
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
DJ_Baar

Picture of Eaton H052 outside (other drum hub assembly - with bearings) to show bolt holes for axle to put punch in and alternate holes/sides to knock-out outer bearing for clarity.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
DJ_Baar

I got oil seal, outer bearing snap ring, and finally both bearings and their races out first hub. I figured-out that there is a lip I was banging-on that was part of hub with larger punches - DOoooh! Caugth with a closer look and flashlight. I now know better now 4 other side. I'm picking-up new inner & outer bearing kits on order now tomorrow (it helps to have Friends at Auto Parts Stores you worked with....)

Now to get that outer bearing in with race and snap ring at right depth.... That will wait until I have more time this weekend.

DJ
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
DJ_Baar

WoW - second side took me 20 minutes & by pushing outer bearing out just that little bit I could use pliers to remove the snap ring! Feeling good now!