The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
100Watt

67 Power steering

Just purchased a 67 c20 camper special. It's technically my sons. It's our project. It has power assist steering that is currently not working. The current power steering pump pulley does not line up with any of the other pulleys so it's obviously not working. Combined w that there is @ 8" of play in the wheel. It appears to be a very sloppy gear box. From what I've read the 67 set up is prone to leak and be problematic. I'm wanting to just install a 68-72 style. Help me w this: will a newer ps gear box (w/ spacers) bolt right up? Will the existing Pittman arm work? I know I need different pump brackets to get the pulley to align as well. Thanks in advance for any help. I'll try to put some pics up. (Not sure I can from my phone)
Attached Images

100Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
8door
Not too old to learn

Re: 67 Power steering

My 68 C10 also had the power assist ram steering.
Had to get a replacement drag link for the pittman to attach correctly,if I recall the pittman came with the newer box. So look for the whole linkage.
The newer box did require spacers, just make sure the bolt flanges meet the frame flush so there is no way it will move, after bolts are tightened.
You will love the difference, one finger steering will result. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
8door
Not too old to learn

Another step, is the make a small depression in frame by heating at
spot where the newer steering box will sit. The newer box is a larger steering than you original. It will need the space to minimize the spacers thickness.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
100Watt

Thanks for the help. I just picked up a pump, gear box etc (off a 69)from a local junk yard. This guy has @30 67-72's. He's a wealth of knowledge too. Luckily only a 30 min drive away. Picked up a new hood hinge, crank pulley, and a passenger side mirror as well. $200 total. Going to do power steering this week. Can't wait
100Watt is offline   Reply With Quote