The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
Smokintire70

Thumbs up Inner Door help.

I'm wanting to replace all window and sealing components in my 70 c10. What do I need?
-G
Smokintire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Inner Door help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokintire70 View Post
I'm wanting to replace all window and sealing components in my 70 c10. What do I need?
-G

One of these:

http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.V9I2p8XVqAg

or

http://www.classicparts.com/1967-72-.../#.V9I2xcXVqAg

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
blf

Replacing the window regulators and felt bits is on my todo list. If I'm going in the door to do that job, anything else I should consider having on hand other than the regulators and a felt kit? I was looking at other items for side glass and saw "Glass Setting Tape" -- is that a needed item?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post
Replacing the window regulators and felt bits is on my todo list. If I'm going in the door to do that job, anything else I should consider having on hand other than the regulators and a felt kit? I was looking at other items for side glass and saw "Glass Setting Tape" -- is that a needed item?
I used glass setting tape on one window, and a glass adhesive on the other. The adhesive was easier to work with, but the glass setting tape is a cleaner install. My frustration with the tape, is that it's a pain to get the glass in the channel. I needed a rubber mallet to drive it in, and that's not the best thing to do with glass. Fortunately it was tough, and didn't damage the glass or the channel. My OEM channels were in much better built than the replacement I considered buying.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
My OEM channels were in much better built than the replacement I considered buying.
Thanks -- which channels are you referring to here? Sorry, trying to get my head around all the components and terminology. There are a lot more parts that go into the windows working smoothly than I thought.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post
Thanks -- which channels are you referring to here? Sorry, trying to get my head around all the components and terminology. There are a lot more parts that go into the windows working smoothly than I thought.
The channel that the window actually sits in. The company, Classic Parts, uses mostly counterparts brand stuff, which is from The Truck Shop. It's spotty on quality.

I have a hierarchy of stores I go to when buying parts for these trucks...

Classic Heartbeat or GMC Pauls: I use them when I need top quality parts. They do their homework to make sure they're only selling the best of what's available.

Classic Parts or Classic Industries: I use them when I need a discount on something that doesn't need to be top quality. Not often, parts may not fit perfect and need some tweaking to be acceptable.

I never shop LMC Truck anymore. Nearly every part I've purchased from them has had a plating, paint, fitment, or general quality issue. Every time I've made big purchases, i'll sit down and price out everything and get a total; LMC is always last place with the most expensive order. I've even called to check brands, and they are often the same brands as other companies I've priced out.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote