The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
LongBox

From Country Truck to City Truck?

The 69 GMC 910 I just bought, while it is totally original, including the paint, is a pretty bare bones truck, as if it was bought for farm duty, or maybe for hunting. It does not even have a cigarette lighter. Since my other vehicles (98 Silverado, 08 Mustang GT) have tons of bells and whistles, I'm thinking of making some changes,

I think putting in a lighter would let me use my GPS, and charge my phone. Is there a good place to buy the parts? I'd prefer to get NOS OEM bits. Hopefully, the wiring is already in place, but it's not a big deal to run a wire from the fuse block.

I wouldn't mind power steering. In fact, I really WANT power steering. The original 350 in my truck has a single groove pulley on the crank, and the alternator (externally regulated) is on the left side of the engine. Does anyone know if there are appropriate mounting spots on the block and/or heads to move the alternator over, and mount the PS pump? And from what year range can I find the appropriate parts if I search the yards?

And, it would be nice to factory AC, but then the SPID sticker in the glove box would be lying, right? Probably better to find a truck that already has factory AC...

And finally, disk brakes. But I have no power booster on the MC. If I go to disk brakes, I think you have to have power brakes, right? I hate that, because right now, the engine compartment on my truck is wide open. Changing plugs, or getting to the dizzy is super easy. So, are the drum brakes on these trucks ok? If it makes a difference, it has the six stud axles and hubs.

Any tips from those that have gone before would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you ahead of time.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK

Re: From Country Truck to City Truck?

I feel sorry for you having a longbox in Vancouver. Mine has a turning radios that would make a semi look good.

On a serious-note as far as I know factory air on a none factory air truck you need to drill holes in your firewall (I looked into it a tiny bit). I was recommended to go with an aftermarket air system.

Boosters do not seem to be too difficult, and there is indeed a place on the fuseblock for cig lighter (the prev owners of my truck used it for electric choke for what ever reason).

If it has electric choke they might of done the same on yours. Unless you are downtown VC I would recommend wiring up a few kill switches aswell.

If you have a battery powered GPS you may want to go for a short drive. Mine is out by .5 and it does make a different in KM's.

Last edited by Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK; 09-12-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: From Country Truck to City Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
The 69 GMC 910 I just bought, while it is totally original, including the paint, is a pretty bare bones truck, as if it was bought for farm duty, or maybe for hunting. It does not even have a cigarette lighter. Since my other vehicles (98 Silverado, 08 Mustang GT) have tons of bells and whistles, I'm thinking of making some changes,

I think putting in a lighter would let me use my GPS, and charge my phone. Is there a good place to buy the parts? I'd prefer to get NOS OEM bits. Hopefully, the wiring is already in place, but it's not a big deal to run a wire from the fuse block.

I wouldn't mind power steering. In fact, I really WANT power steering. The original 350 in my truck has a single groove pulley on the crank, and the alternator (externally regulated) is on the left side of the engine. Does anyone know if there are appropriate mounting spots on the block and/or heads to move the alternator over, and mount the PS pump? And from what year range can I find the appropriate parts if I search the yards?

And, it would be nice to factory AC, but then the SPID sticker in the glove box would be lying, right? Probably better to find a truck that already has factory AC...

And finally, disk brakes. But I have no power booster on the MC. If I go to disk brakes, I think you have to have power brakes, right? I hate that, because right now, the engine compartment on my truck is wide open. Changing plugs, or getting to the dizzy is super easy. So, are the drum brakes on these trucks ok? If it makes a difference, it has the six stud axles and hubs.

Any tips from those that have gone before would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you ahead of time.

Replacement lighter, wire loom, and trim ring should be available from any parts vendor.

I would recommend getting all of the power steering parts from the same '69-'72 V-8 truck if you can. Big Block power steering pump is different.

As far as the brakes, read this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=651165

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote