The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Good line on a SBC short block?

I want to find a SBC short block that'll hold up to some performance parts, but I don't wanna spend a lot. I looked at summit and Jegs, and found some stuff on google but the cheapest ones I could find are still 1500$ bucks. I have also thought about getting a bare block and buying a balanced rotating assembly to try and build it myself, but I don't think I want to do that with new parts be'ins it'd be my first short block.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: Good line on a SBC short block?

Are you wanting new or used? I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. Why a short block? Do you have heads that you want to use already?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
webfoot

Summit had a deal on the LS 5.3 block for $300 plus truck freight. That seems pretty darn good to me.

Get the right tools, watch videos, ask questions - enjoy yourself. It ain't scary!

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
davepl

If I were starting from scratch I'd definitely start with an LS platform, unless originality were a big concern for that project.

The cylinder heads are decades more advanced; you get 6-bolt cross-bolted mains, and heck, even aluminum blocks are cheap.

They make a LOT more power than a standard small block. I presume that's largely two factors - the cylinder heads and the larger cam blank (otherwise a rotating assembly doesn't really contribute much to the power equation).

You could dump $8K into a small-block and come away with a nervous 420 horsepower. Or you could put the HOT cam in a junkyard LS3 and make 480 with just a slight lope to the idle.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
leftybass209

The LS, SBC debate always comes up whenever someone considers rebuilding a SBC. The unbiased part of it is:

An LS makes more power, gets better gas mileage, has more longevity, and has the benefits of FI if you snag a complete used engine.

If you do snag a used engine, it typically has 100k + miles on it already, and will need a rebuild in roughly an equal amount of time as a fresh SBC. (i'm estimating 200k for an LS, and 100K for a SBC) both have been known to get more or less miles.

An LS is NOT a simple swap and go, and actually costs quite a bit more than a SBC when you consider it requires different parts like gauges, engine harness, headers, engine mounts, electric fans, possible radiator swap, etc., that are most likely already set up to run a SBC in your truck.

When I hear someone is on a budget... LS does NOT come to mind. If you want to save some cash and hold off on a SBC build, the LS can be worthwhile.

Either motor you build to make power with, will wipe out a used transmission and/or differential pretty quick if you put your foot in it.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
leftybass209

Separate from my previous post, there are some fairly cheap ways to make power utilizing a SBC platform, for the budget oriented person.

One is to buy a 350/260 crate engine. $1,400 from Jegs, free shipping. You can drop a set of vortec heads, intake, carb, and cam in it. That combo is good for around 400 hp/tq. It costs in the $2,000-2,500 range depending on what parts you may already have, and would be fairly reliable. Several people have bracket raced on that combo and the bottom end is surprisingly stout.

That is bare-bones cheap for that much power. Anything else, like building an engine on your own, just drives the price north from there, unless you've already got a stash of parts.

Best of luck
Old 09-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Are you wanting new or used? I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. Why a short block? Do you have heads that you want to use already?
I wasn't set on new or used really, just trying to find something real cheap. I only want the short block because I have a pile of parts and I'm wanting to start another project. My C10 is in such good shape these days that I rarely get to wrench on it, so I'm gonna build a project motor that may be the test mule for my first turbo attempt.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Separate from my previous post, there are some fairly cheap ways to make power utilizing a SBC platform, for the budget oriented person.

One is to buy a 350/260 crate engine. $1,400 from Jegs, free shipping. You can drop a set of vortec heads, intake, carb, and cam in it. That combo is good for around 400 hp/tq. It costs in the $2,000-2,500 range depending on what parts you may already have, and would be fairly reliable. Several people have bracket raced on that combo and the bottom end is surprisingly stout.

That is bare-bones cheap for that much power. Anything else, like building an engine on your own, just drives the price north from there, unless you've already got a stash of parts.

Best of luck
I'm glad you brought that up, I was seriously considering the 290 horse GM short block because it's a nice platform and has cam bearings, freeze plugs, pretty much ready to go. The only thing stopping me is price, plus I have been thinking of starting the build with a zero decked block, that way I have room to play around with the compression ratio and still get a good quench/squish.

I have a set of AFR 195's and also a set of aluminum NKB 200's that are itching to go on something.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
leftybass209

The only difference between the 260 and 290 hp is the cam. The cam in the 290 is a bit too much for the heads it has, and even at that, they're both old school grinds that have been far surpassed by cam technology. If you aren't concerned with the warranty, you can get the 260, swap the cam, and still be cheaper than the 290 hp 350.

The problem with building your own, is if you run into any problems doing the short block, and have to pass it off to a builder, you'll most likely be set behind where the 260hp engine is, financially.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #10
Boog
laying low

Have you looked for answers down in the engine and driveline forum? I'm following this one.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #11
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
The only difference between the 260 and 290 hp is the cam. The cam in the 290 is a bit too much for the heads it has, and even at that, they're both old school grinds that have been far surpassed by cam technology. If you aren't concerned with the warranty, you can get the 260, swap the cam, and still be cheaper than the 290 hp 350.

The problem with building your own, is if you run into any problems doing the short block, and have to pass it off to a builder, you'll most likely be set behind where the 260hp engine is, financially.
Is the 260hp one cheaper than the 290hp? The only thing I'm keeping in the short block is the crank/rods and pistons. The cam will be pulled out and replaced with a big fat Crane 305 H06 or something of that nature
Old 09-14-2016, 12:33 AM   #12
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Have you looked for answers down in the engine and driveline forum? I'm following this one.
I have posted in the engine and drivetrain forum but there's not much happening over there most of the time. This should be a pretty cool build, definetly over 400 hp for pretty cheap. It's going on a dyno at the end so I can see how I did
Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #13
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
Is the 260hp one cheaper than the 290hp? The only thing I'm keeping in the short block is the crank/rods and pistons. The cam will be pulled out and replaced with a big fat Crane 305 H06 or something of that nature
Yeah, $1510 vs $2270. Get on summit, jegs, or whatever your preferred site is and verify. Alternatively, see if an engine shop in your area can match a short block for that price, and what parts would go in it.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:12 AM   #14
webfoot

In between the 2 is to find a mid 90s and up factory roller cam block. Retrofit stuff is expensive.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
bhayes1

How about the crate GM 195 HP crate long block? Thats the cheapest set up I can find for around $1,500 shipped. If someone was looking for something cheap and reliable and not too concerned with high performance would this be a decent route?
bhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #16
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayes1 View Post
How about the crate GM 195 HP crate long block? Thats the cheapest set up I can find for around $1,500 shipped. If someone was looking for something cheap and reliable and not too concerned with high performance would this be a decent route?
Same engine as the 260, it's rated between 195 and 260 hp depending on what parts are on it. Yes, that is a great motor to just stab and go. It makes decent torque, is very reliable, and gets decent gas mileage for a sbc.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #17
kwmech

For what it's worth I have a 1972 long block that may need some work.. It ran when I took it out a couple of years ago. 100.00 I'm selling everything so I can buy some machinery
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #18
bhayes1

I MAY be interested. I currently have a sbc that needs work and am contemplating if I should just spend the 1500 for a crate motor. I'm down in Bakersfield and might be up that way in early Oct. if you still have it.
bhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

If I ever build another SBC I will get the Summit Racing pre prepped bare block that is already clearanced to accept a longer stroke crank and has the provisions to run a stock roller lifter setup. It also has provisions for a fuel pump. Around $600 bones.

I believe it is clearanced to accept H-beam rods if so desired.

All it needs is for the cylinders to be honed...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #20
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
If I ever build another SBC I will get the Summit Racing pre prepped bare block that is already clearanced to accept a longer stroke crank and has the provisions to run a stock roller lifter setup. It also has provisions for a fuel pump. Around $600 bones.

I believe it is clearanced to accept H-beam rods if so desired.

All it needs is for the cylinders to be honed...

Gary
That's a good idea Gary if you're starting from scratch. That way you don't get all the undesirables that the 260 or 290 crate has. Undesirables like no compression, crappy flowing heads, ancient cam etc.
Far better to spend a few bucks more and get an L31.
Like this.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...30283/10002/-1
Or this.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...30282/10002/-1

Either one has a better roller cam, better heads, more compression and a one piece rear main.

For 500 bucks more it's a no-brainer!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #21
webfoot

Nice! Well worth the extra money for sure.

I'd want to put all my own stuff in so I personally love the 5.3 shortblock idea the most.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #22
TwoFiftyShifter

So to use the L31 in my 71 I'd need a new flywheel, to hook up an electric fuel pump and convert to a juice clutch?
Old 09-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #23
crazyjeenyus

Since this is your first build, make it a learning experience. Go to the wreckers and pick up a complete non-seized block for $100-ish bucks. Make sure you get a 327/350 block so you can take advantage of the bigger bore/stroke options for future rebuilds. Bearings and rings are cheap like borscht. Take the time to build it yourself, you can hone the cylinders with a $25 honing tool.

Stock pistons, rods, and crank, freshly honed cylinders, new bearing and rings and you may be in it for $250. Put your valve train and AFR's (although AFR's are usually associated with more costly builds) on it and roll.

If it lasts 100,000 miles...great. If not, then you can build it again, and add a few more goodies each time you do.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #24
1969c10joe

yeah what farmtruck said no reason to buysomething you are just going to blow up anyway rebuild an old one
1969c10joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #25
davepl

He's got the Speed Parts Disease. You know, where you get jonesed about buying the big roller cam from the bottom of the list, the zero-plane intake, the quad-pumper four-corner idle carb, triple row timing chain, and the pistons with the polyphosphoric coating.

It's a lust that won't be satisfied by ball-honing and sticking new bearings in an old four-bolt block that you found at the scrap yard. It's gotta be trick!

And I'm not saying it's a bad thing, as I felt that way once. Now I'm more about getting all of my boring old mundane parts to worth together as a team. But I know the feeling... I was just blessed with youthful poverty so I could never indulge it!

Now I could afford a billet block and I'd trade it all for 21" of vacuum :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote