The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2016, 02:31 AM   #1
toon

My first build '67 c10 pics included

I thought I'd start a thread to share my build experience with ya'll. To start, my wife and I needed to get a second vehicle so I wasn't being a chauffeur all the time. We both work so it was getting difficult to juggle my Avalanche between our two work schedules. I had always wanted an older truck so I started looking on craigslist for a truck to drive back and forth to work. Well, I found an old '67 c10 fleetside that appeared to be in decent shape. normal rust in places. Not knowing what I was doing or what to look for in old truck I bought it and got it home. not too bad looking.

Well, after looking the truck over really good I then realized I had bit off more than I wanted to chew. The truck was not in good shape at all. There were only two badly rusted bolts holding the bed on, the bed was actually in decent shape though. The rear of the frame was rusted through and patched right above the rear springs and the trailing arms were poorly repaired with "L" beams. The cab was in just as bad of shape. cab bolts were rusted and about to snap, the floor was rusted through in every corner and badly patched with rivets in places, both corners, rocker panels, all 4 floor supports were gone. The core support was rusted out at the bottom and inner fender wells were rusted out where they bolt on the core support. Front fenders had bondo 1/2" thick. I'll try and make a long story short and say The only original parts I kept were the cab and hood. I sold the bed and scraped the rest.
since the frame was bad in the rear I started looking for another frame and luckily found a '63 rolling frame just an hour away for 150 bucks delivered. after contemplating over the two frames for a few days, and realized I was going to have to move everything over to the new frame, moving motor mounts brackets and all, I just decided to keep the good part of the 67 frame and splice in the rear of the 63 frame. I really wanted a short bed anyway so I shortened it in the process. I found a few videos of the shortening process and began cutting. I had to hire a welder to weld up my frame for me since I didn't have a big enough welder or the experience to do the job. I used the step cut method and boxed in the splice on the frame. Then I cleaned up the welds and got the frame media blasted and painted.

This was a good time to clean up the engine, it was really dirty with grease and road grime caked all over everything. It was dirty but ran really well. Got it all cleaned up and installed back on the frame.

next was welding the cab and ridding it of all the rust. It got new corners, rockers, supports, and floors. This was my first time welding anything that really mattered to me and was quite the learning experience. I didn't really know where to begin so I started with the corners and rockers. then the floors and floor supports. it was pretty tricky welding it all up and I found out later I installed the driver side rocker a little to high and had trouble getting the door to line up properly. Its Nothing I couldn't live with. I also removed the gas tank and replaced it with one that goes under the bed and patched the hole in the side of the cab.

I forgot to mention that I lowered the truck with smaller springs 2" front and 4" rear. Another thing that bothered me was the steering wheel was right in my face So I figured out a way to shorten the steering column a bit, maybe 3". But then My cluster wouldn't fit without dropping the column or installing the cluster from behind. I also forgot to mention that I added power steering and a brake booster.
Next was prepping for paint. I didn't want to drop too much money into it so I chose the rustoleum satin black through a HVLP gun. It was my first time painting a truck to so it took a few attempts to get it right. Added chevy red/orange to the wheels and it was ready for assembly. I primed and painted it once all apart and then again with it all put together. also painted the seats with vinyl paint that turned out pretty nice. it is starting to wear off where my butt slides in and out but it has a cool effect. I'm sure I'm leaving something out of this story, But my fingers are getting tired. LOL
Now... Go back and take a look at the dates on the first pictures. Those pictures were taken the day I brought the truck home and tell me what you think. I worked my butt off but now I have an awesome daily driver I truly enjoy. I'm proud to say It took 3rd place at the midwest all truck nationals this past weekend for the 67-72 custom truck. I hope you enjoyed reading about my build, I don't think there will be another one anytime soon. LOL

Last edited by toon; 09-14-2016 at 02:40 AM.
toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
custom10nut

Re: My first build '67 c10 pics included

Beautiful work.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
WORNBRAKES

Re: My first build '67 c10 pics included

Great looking truck! You did a lot better than I did with my first build.... That is still my favorite front end.
Congratulation's with the podium Finnish at nationals as well.

69 C10 305/350
71 K5 Basket case
75 K10 Rescue **Parting out**
77 MG Midget **Parting out**
15 6.7L Cummins
WORNBRAKES is offline   Reply With Quote