The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
rockosocko

67-72 Frame mounting points same as 60-66??

Hey, it's been a while since I've been here but got a project going on where I have a 1981 Cherokee and want to make it 2wd, lowered for my business and to haul anything that I need. (Plus, I don't NEED 4wd here in the Memphis area)
I'm pretty much parts rich and have tons of buds that like to trade.
One bud I traded for a '85 Diesel Suburban front frame section and wanted to graft it to the Jeep frame to have the heavy duty brakes/suspension and be able to swap in a '78 3/4ton 14 bolt for the rear so all my rims will match.
(stay with me now..)
Got the ideas from this gents build on one of my jeep sites I frequent.
He used a '71 chevy truck frame on his and talking to him, he stated that it was almost like it was made for the Jeep body! And just a few mods to make it work. (yes, I know how to weld and have the tools needed)
I like the long arm design versus the Jeeps' standard leaf spring arrangement, and the 14 bolt should swap in and be stronger than the AMC 20 rear.

It's a little reading and a great build but mine won't be as detailed and intricate as his.. Just a low mileage AMC 360/4L80e/14 bolt.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Fast forward and another 'tinkering' buddy came over and we were shooting around Idea's
and he said that the 60-66 frames were the same pretty much, and told me of how guys that he knew had swapped beds and cabs from those years mentioned above.

I searched Google and this site came up with the most hits so I'm asking here.
Could I utilize a '67-72 rear sectioned frame to a 85 diesel front frame?

I'm going to look at a 67-72 bed, that someone just cut from a truck to make a trailer, to measure and see if just the frame section will work for "MY" project. (i already disassembled the '85's front frame, blasted it so I'd really like to use it and not have to start all over again with another front frame.
If this "trailer" is pretty beat up, I may have to look into the earlier rear long arm frames.

Thanks
Errol
rockosocko is offline   Reply With Quote