The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Clatterville trolley

Swap meet info wanted

I am signed up for a swap spot at the Moultrie, GA swap meet this coming November. I have heard that it is a very good meet and I want to take items that will sell - not interested in just hauling things down only to haul them back again.
Anyone have experience with selling there? If so what seemed to sell well? I could take several 67-72 C10 parts, I also have some old tools, plus a very few Model A Ford items (all small stuff / misc.). I have a variety of license toppers (6-8), a few old owners manuals various makes, and I have some books / magazines that I could take too. Will be picking up a swb frame on way down or back, so my space could get a little crowded, but I am a good packer.
Should I bother with any 67-72 sheet metal? Or, is everything there going to be more rust free than my mid-Missouri sheet metal?

Thanks for any insight / help you might have! Jay Self

BTW - If I decide to pick the frame up on the way down I will have an empty trailer from Columbia, MO to about half way into GA on the way to Moultrie. If I didn't have to vary my route too much I would be open to hauling something for some gas money on the way down.
Clatterville trolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:37 AM   #2
F.A.A.benny

Re: Swap meet info wanted

Ive been there quite a few times. It is a very good swap meet. It really depends on how you price your parts. People are looking for deals so if you price them too high you may not sell well. These trucks are very popular and there were quite a few of them along with parts last November.
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

It can all sell. Just judge it by what you want to deal with. I think good sheet metal is always in demand everywhere, but it takes up space. Half the people want something for nothing and the others know what they want and get it because it's there. The little stuff like license toppers people buy because they are neat, they collect them, or just because they didn't find anything else they needed. Bring a variety of cheaper and more expensive. Let not so important stuff go for whatever and stick to your guns on the prime stuff. I hope I can go this year... to buy!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
sick_46

I live about 10 minutes from there. Yes please bring c10 parts haha. its so humid down here that rust is a big problem.
sick_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It can all sell. Just judge it by what you want to deal with. I think good sheet metal is always in demand everywhere, but it takes up space. Half the people want something for nothing and the others know what they want and get it because it's there. The little stuff like license toppers people buy because they are neat, they collect them, or just because they didn't find anything else they needed. Bring a variety of cheaper and more expensive. Let not so important stuff go for whatever and stick to your guns on the prime stuff. I hope I can go this year... to buy!

Good advice from special-K here. I have been to many swap meets and set up at several, both large and smaller sized. The one thing I have found is being ready to "deal" with people fairly works. Don't bend them over a barrel and don't give things away for the sake of a sale unless you just don't want to deal with that particular part anymore. When I do set up for a swap meet I take items that I believe others would want but I also try to price them fairly and at a price I myself would be comfortable in paying. Things I take to a swap meet are items I don't want, wont fit, have too many of, not my style, etc. There is no rhyme or reason to what people will be looking for or are willing to buy. I have sold some crazy stuff at a swap meet. The one thing I do hate at a swap meet is when it looks like the parts were just dumped on a table and no pricing of items. When this happens and I am INTERESTED in something I always ask what the price is. When I hear "make me an offer" I ALWAYS tell them, "it's your part, you tell me what you want for it. If I can live with that you just made a sale" I don't price other peoples parts. That almost always causes for some bad feelings, you want to go low and they are hoping for high. Since they didn't price the item they either think it is worth a bazillion $$ or have not clue. I'm sorry but do your homework on pricing items before taking taking them to a swap meet. Sorry for the long posting but hope it helps and good luck. I love swap meets, I'm like a kid in a candy shop at a good meet.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; 09-23-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
100%Chevy

I try to go every fall or in February.
What I don't like is seeing the same vendors and the same junk that was there the last few years.I don't even slow down at the cheap,shiney,chinese junk!
Mis-represented parts.Tell the truth if you don't know what it fits!
Spread your stuff out and put a price on it.I won't get under the table and dig thru a bunch of boxes.
And,don't leave your wife,son,dog or whoever in charge while you're gone if they can't price or sell for you!
I will try to jew you down on a price!But,that's the fun part for me and I mean no harm.If I want it bad enough,I'll pay for it.And not waste your time.
Better gring some kind of tent for shade,it gets hot!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
Peanut1976

This is probably the wrong place to post this but does anybody know if they're going to have a swap meet further north sometime later on this year? I live up around Athens Georgia
Peanut1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
Clatterville trolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Thanks for the suggestions on the swap meet! All are just good ideas for any swap meet one would set up for. I usually try to bring a good assortment of items, both large and small, and wide price range. Bargaining is just part of the fun. I have one of those pop up 10 x10 canopy for shade and hopefully will remember sun screen too.
These comments have been very helpful and I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply. My swap spot at Moultrie is A-222 - hope to meet some of the members of this forum there.
Jay
Old 09-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

If you have 67-72 truck specific parts, go to our parts for sale area, and in the search box type in a part you want to get an idea on what they are going for. Like 72 outer grill. There will be a lot of for sale threads for these for you to get a pricing idea.

Edit: I forgot to add, we do have a what its worth area, but using it really is a crap shoot. Much better to search the parts for sale area.

Last edited by CG; 09-25-2016 at 10:04 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut1976 View Post
This is probably the wrong place to post this but does anybody know if they're going to have a swap meet further north sometime later on this year? I live up around Athens Georgia
OldRide.com does a listing per state.

http://www.oldride.com/events/
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #11
Clatterville trolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
If you have 67-72 truck specific parts, go to our parts for sale area, and in the search box type in a part you want to get an idea on what they are going for. Like 72 outer grill. There will be a lot of for sale threads for these for you to get a pricing idea.

Edit: I forgot to add, we do have a what its worth area, but using it really is a crap shoot. Much better to search the parts for sale area.
Again, more good suggestions! I have been following the parts for sale forum for quite a while now and that has been helpful on pricing.
Part of the reason for my initial question was I wondered if there were 'regional' differences in parts / car pricing. I suppose that the internet has evened that out some with same access for everyone to parts rather than just local stuff all the time. With 800 miles difference in locations thought there might be some stuff that sold good here that no one would be interested in there, or pricing here might be way too high there or other way around.
Jay
Old 09-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
Peanut1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
OldRide.com does a listing per state.

http://www.oldride.com/events/
Sweet..I'll look it up. Thanks D.
Peanut1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
srea76

Ill be coming on Saturday looking around for parts.

Red Baron-72 c10 Project
srea76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #14
Clatterville trolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by srea76 View Post
Ill be coming on Saturday looking around for parts.
As I said, please stop by and at least say hello and tell me that you are a member of this forum. My swap space is A-222 and you can go to the Moultrie Swap page to look up where that is located - you have probably been there before, so you should be able to visualize the layout better than I can right now.
I will for sure bring some 67-72 lC10 large and small parts with me - will be somewhat limited as I will be picking up a rolling frame on my way down which will reduce the amount of larger items most likely.
Jay
Old 09-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
flashed

If you have good rust free sheetmetal it should sell good as it is hard to find here .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote