The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Ekliptix

First start up - 402, heads, cam, spintech

Video: https://youtu.be/bHAcaie1V84 Filthy since it's been under the knife for a few months.
Hooker ceramic coated headers into 3" exhaust with x-pipe into Spintech 3000 mufflers. 2.5" from the mufflers back since 3" would not fit around the track bar by the axle.

Running really rich at the moment. The main issue is the brand new TCI 700R4 Streetfighter trans. It's not putting the power to the tires, acting like it has a 5000rpm stall. The engine revs but it doesn't translate into acceleration. We're taking the 2500 converter out to see if it's the problem. Hope a new converter solves it otherwise I have to send the trans back to TCI in the US of A. Their customer support has not been great.

Also test fit the 295 BFG drag radials. No problem.

Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.

Last edited by Ekliptix; 09-24-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
jessemthompson

Re: First start up - 402, heads, cam, spintech

Looks good and sounds good!
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
trac209

Tv cable adjustment perhaps? That is critical for 700r4,they don't last but a few miles with it wrong
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
Ekliptix

A few ppl have suggested the TV cable. I spoken with my mechanic and he said the TV on this only effects the shift points. It's a constant pressure valve body. Can anyone confirm?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Eddie H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
A few ppl have suggested the TV cable. I spoken with my mechanic and he said the TV on this only effects the shift points. It's a constant pressure valve body. Can anyone confirm?
Posted via Mobile Device
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "constant pressure valve body" It may be time to find a new mechanic?

On a 700R4, proper TV cable adjustment as well as correct throttle linkage geometry are critical. They won't live very long otherwise.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
trac209

What are you using for a carb and do you have the correct tv cable bracket? If your running Holley you must use a geometry correcting bracket to make sure tv cable can be adjusted and works properly. Do not drive until this is corrected or trans damage will be done. A picture of the bracket assembly would help
Old 09-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
Boyd67

Very nice

-67' C10 SWB FLEETSIDE LS 5.3 4 speed muncie
Boyd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
Ekliptix

Thanks for the feedback.

I spoke with TCI again this morning and confirmed this 700R4 has a constant pres valve body as per their site: "700R4, 2004R and AOD StreetFighter® Transmissions feature a TCI® Constant Pressure Valve Body™ to ensure that clutches and bands are applied firmly to eliminate slippage."

Regarding the TV cable, TCI told me adding tension to the TV cable can increase the pressure. However, the pressure was measured at 275psi which is in line with what TCI says it should have. TCI thinks it may be a faulty converter since the rpms are increasing without the feeling of acceleration/engagement while in any gear. From my drive, the shift-feel at part throttle feels normal to me.

I'm bring the truck into another transmission shop that a friend recommended. I just got off the phone with this new trans mechanic there who says he'll be able to figure out what's wrong pretty quickly from driving it. I asked him about potential to damage the trans from diving it if the TV cable is improperly set. He suggested don't drive with much throttle especially at shift points. I'll bring it in to him this week.

The TV cable linkage I bought is the Holley 20-95, for my qwik fuel carb. I'm not experienced with transmissions, but I have a feeling it's not the TV cable because a) it feel like it's shifting fine, b) 2 people have already looked at the TV cable (my mechanic who's done this many times plus a transmission shop who fixed a pressure regulator valve defect from TCI), and c) the trans pressure was already measured at 275psi which TCI says is on-target. So, I feel like things are pointing to a defective 2500 converter.

Here's a picture of the TV cable bracket. I don't have the truck handy at the moment for a photo of it on the carb/intake.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
trac209

The carb itself for Holley has a corrector bracket that bolts to existing throttle armName:  image.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #10
Eddie H.

I spoke with TCI again this morning and confirmed this 700R4 has a constant pres valve body as per their site: "700R4, 2004R and AOD StreetFighter® Transmissions feature a TCI® Constant Pressure Valve Body™ to ensure that clutches and bands are applied firmly to eliminate slippage."

I guess the term " constant pressure valve body" must just be a TCI marketing thing. I just never heard of it. They say that the pressure increases with the movement of the TV cable, so by definition, it really is not a "constant pressure" valve body"? It sounds like they just run a higher than normal line pressure to help prevent slipping. From your description, I would suspect a defective torque converter also. I hope they stand behind their product for you. I have just never been a big fan of TCI.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post

I guess the term " constant pressure valve body" must just be a TCI marketing thing. I just never heard of it. They say that the pressure increases with the movement of the TV cable, so by definition, it really is not a "constant pressure" valve body"? It sounds like they just run a higher than normal line pressure to help prevent slipping. From your description, I would suspect a defective torque converter also. I hope they stand behind their product for you. I have just never been a big fan of TCI.
From what I can tell the constant-pressure part is the fact that the pressure remains the same regardless of what gear you're in.

I am quickly becoming a non-fan of TCI. Their support is poor in that:
1) they sound afraid to give you any suggestions for trouble shooting (it was like pulling teeth trying to get a yes or no from them on the phone),
2) their tech support's first recommendation after our pressure test was to uninstall the transmission and return it from Canada to the US for inspection...no other recommended things to check/test.
3) I spent $150 already having a trans shop discover and fix the pressure regulator valve was defective in that an important part was not ground down, allowing pressure to only reach 200 psi, not 275-300psi. This was after TCI sent me a photo of what this valve part was suppose to look like (the only useful suggestion they've given actually).
4) their warranty person has not responded since my email to him Thursday last week and his voicemail box is not enabled to accept messages. I guess he's afraid of people yelling at him.

When this is running right it'll be all worth it. Just a pain getting this far in the swap to hit a roadblock because of poor quality control by TCI (to be confirmed).
Old 09-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
kaycee

Sounds good ,on your trans be careful at having anyone look at it I would get nasty with TCI .Ask them what you should do and if they are going to foot the bill, other wise they will say that the other guy fu@#$ it up and leave you hanging. You paid good money for it they should back it up.
You sure you got the conv. stabbed in all the way, if your happy with the tv cable go down the block and back see if it loosens up, not 10 miles just around the block sometimes they put so much trans lube/grease it takes a little bit to thin it out. I am not a trans guy but have had this issue before and it worked for me
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
Ekliptix

TCI warranty manager already told me no when I wanted TCI to pay for the labour of getting their transmission working right. I even offered to pay part of the repair costs here at a shop of their choice. They said no. If i get the tran to the US, they'll have it shipped to their shop and back to the US boarder (7 hr return drive for me to get to). That's a PITA and will take a while so I'm trying to get it working here for a little $ instead of the cost and extra delay to getting into their hands. Thanks for the suggestions above.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #14
Boog
laying low

It's understandable they don't want anyone else working on their unit. I wouldn't either. But you paid good money for their trans and they need to make it good, whatever it takes. Their phone "techs" may be nothing more than receptionists instructed not to agree to anything. I would think it would be cheaper for them to just send you a replacement converter than to send the tranny back and forth.
If I am understanding you right the engine revs way more than 2500 before it begins to move but it's shift points are where they should be mph wise? Maybe they shipped a higher stall converter than what you ordered. Are there distinguishing marks?
The combo should be a lot of fun when you get it sorted out.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #15
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
If I am understanding you right the engine revs way more than 2500 before it begins to move but it's shift points are where they should be mph wise? Maybe they shipped a higher stall converter than what you ordered. Are there distinguishing marks?
Correct. A trans shop is looking at it today. Hopefully have it sorted with a new converter within a cpl days (at my expense) if that turns out to be the problem.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #16
kaycee

Well I hope it does ,but tell TCI you had to replace it maybe they will help a little $$ but I doubt it ,never hurts to ask
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #17
Ekliptix

Update: The transmission expert drove the truck and things the transmission is behaving normally. He is pointing to low power from the engine. I'm not totally convinced of this because the tach rises quickly while the truck does not accelerate to match.

Still, we're not looking at the engine as potentially not making the power it should by 50%. First is checking the fuel pressure from the holley high flow mech fuel pump that may be sending too much pressure into the carb. Next, I booked an apt at a local performance shop, Unlimited Performance to spend a few hours trouble shooting and potentially dyno'ing the truck. $150/hr so I hope it's worth it. We'll see if a pressure regulator makes any diff in sending some power to the ground. Ugh.