The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #1
JrCarr

Looking to upgrade to under bed gas tank

Hello everyone, I am looking get a gas tank and just want to hear opinions on different tanks. I want to know the pros and cons to each tank and what everyone thinks or recommends. My truck is a 70 C10 and I am looking at three different tanks. The first is a Boyd Welding 20 gallon aluminum tank that runs about $500, the second tank is a CPP 20 gallon steel tank that runs about $400. The last tank is also a CPP, but a 17 gallon steel tank that runs about $250. All three are for a carb set up and include the sending units and hardware. I'm just curious to the which is better the aluminum or the steel? Is there a benefit to one of the other? My thought is if I can spend only $250 on the tank it will free up money for the next part. So I see it as I can either get one tank for $500 or a tank and something else for $500. Any advice or input will be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
JrCarr

Re: Looking to upgrade to under bed gas tank

These are the three tanks I am looking at
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2016, 01:37 AM   #3
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

It depends on if you have or will lower the truck. The last tank is a Blazer tank and hangs low. The other 2 look lower profile. I've learned of others using early camero tanks with good results. Also, it depends where you are locating fill tube.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:39 AM   #4
TrkEnvy

I have the third one in my 71 stepside conv swb. I didn't like how it mounted with the straps. It was too low and you could see it from behind the truck and I hated the look of it hanging like a saggy bottom. So I placed it in the frame rails from above and it fit nice. I drilled four holes in the top flange and welded nuts to the underside. Then used the lip as my mounting flange. I can't see it from behind anymore but I am gonna have to raise my bed floor now. Overall you get what you pay for. The Boyd's tank or even the other cpp will prob look better and may not need to raise bed floor. But I still have a lot to finish on this truck so I went cheaper. Plus I may go fuel cell one day anyway.
1971 C10 - LWB shortened to SWB, welded in my C notch, reinforced trailing arms with 3/16 plate, new cpp 5" rear drop springs, 2" drop blocks, ece super panhard kit. Cpp drop spindles, 2 inch front springs, 5.3/4L80E

I call it Bruce Banner..
TrkEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:49 AM   #5
JrCarr

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about the Boyd tank, there isn't a difference with the aluminum or steel?
Old 09-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
Bellinbiker

I just finished putting the Boyd tank in my 69 C10 long bed. Now that it is finished I am please with the results. I ran into issues with the holes matching up after I drilled them. I also only had to run one wire and the fuel line to the pump. I did notice after I filled the tank for the first time that there was fuel leaking from the rollover vent because I over filled it. Over all I am very pleased with the results.
Bellinbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:09 AM   #7
BigMike

I'd go Boyds too, they just make a superior tank. I have one in my truck and LOVE it! It is very well made & you have the option of installing an in tank EFI pump if you ever decide to go fuel injected. Super easy to install too. I had the 3rd one in your picks initially and hated it. Cheaply made and poorly fitting mounting straps. My truck is bagged and I have no issues with the tank being too low. Granted I did mount it on the top of the bottom frame rail but either way there is plenty of clearance.

BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote