The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2016, 04:54 AM   #1
Custom 68

need help with 4l80e swap

hey all I am stumped. I am doing a 4l80 swap and it wont work so I need some help diagnosing. I have found a second tune with my same os and am going to try the segment swap again in case the first one didnt go correctly. I am also looking to find what else I can diagnose. on the wiring I swapped the wire on the U into the S position and have ISS in my scans.
what seems to be happening is the transmission starts out in first then immediatly shifts to second then even third according to my log even when I command it to stay in first. The transmission seems very "loose" like it is in second. The converter is a 2500 stall. This is a Bowler trans but has sit covered and filled with fluid for a little while but is basically new.
what should I check? I have not checked for power or anything at the trans.

included is my tune if that helps. this is a hptuners file I changed the extension so I could post since I wasnt sure how otherwise.
thanks
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2bar4l80 tune.pdf (242.2 KB, 61 views)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"

Last edited by Custom 68; 09-26-2016 at 04:55 AM. Reason: typo
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: need help with 4l80e swap

Is it popping you into limp mode? Codes etc?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
Custom 68

Thanks Brew, I am going to check for codes again but it has not shown any. I have only tried this in my driveway. Originally i thought it was low on fluid as it seemed but that has not changed anything.
As far as limp mode that is what I am looking into as I don't know. How can I tell for sure or what can my next steps be.
I am working today but tonight I will get after it. I am going to try a different segment swap in case this one is bad but I don't see that it is wrong in my tune.
again thanks
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 09-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Custom 68

here is a short scan, maybe I need more in my scan file? It shows to be in first then shortly after moving forward it goes to 2nd and I think even 3rd.
Sorry this is listed as a pdf but it is a HPT scan file.

thanks Guys!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf scanfile.pdf (23.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
davepl

What factory ECM are you running that is able to also control the 4L80E?

I'm a little out of date (or too new) because with the 6L80E and newer much of the control electronics moved into the transmissions itself. Your tune shows up as a PDF file so I can't make use of it in HPT.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Custom 68

Sorry Dave, it I just changed the extension on it because we cant upload the hpt files on here. If you want to look at it just change the extension. Sorry about that.
HPT allows a segment swap, I found a common ECM and did the trans swap so yes it shuold control the trans with no issues. I know it is done quite a bit. I think my shift tables are off so I am going to work on that as well.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
Custom 68

I know this didnt get much action but wanted to give the outcome to possibly help others. The portion circled in the screen shot included controls the trans, this is what give it the speed. Even tho my speedometer is correct (both my external and scanner) the trans didnt know. The correct setting in this is 40 for the 4l80 and probably the 4l60 once I changed that all was and is well. I will now tweak on my shift points to my liking.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Kainedogg

Thanks for the update. Playing around with HPTuners myself. Steep learning curve.

C10 build (twin-turbo) http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...didate-501987/
Kainedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
davepl

I had to change that on my Camaro, as the TKO transmissions (from memory at least) only have a 12 tooth reluctor, and it comes defaulting to 17. But I thought the automatic transmissions like the 4L80E would be a 40-tooth wheel... did you leave it at 17?

Don't change anything on my account, my knowledge is limited and rusty.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

That's interesting. You think it would have defaulted to the 40 vice the 17.
Hart_Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Custom 68

Yes I did change it to 40 and all my problems went away.
Rob, I had a T56 in there for a few years it is 17 I believe however it does not need the speed to shift. when I swapped from the original 4l60e I don't remember changing it but that was a few years ago.
HP Tuners posted and said I should have done the Speedometer swap along with the Trans segment swap. For fun I tried it last night and it did not change the value. I feel lucky I found it.
It was disconcerning that it would shift from first to second to third in a few feet. combined with the looser converter I thought I was in real trouble like a major slip.
Its all a learning curve. This value only has to do with the trans not anything else so it didn't show up in my scans.
Dave
Old 09-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
Yes I did change it to 40 and all my problems went away.
Rob, I had a T56 in there for a few years it is 17 I believe however it does not need the speed to shift. when I swapped from the original 4l60e I don't remember changing it but that was a few years ago.
HP Tuners posted and said I should have done the Speedometer swap along with the Trans segment swap. For fun I tried it last night and it did not change the value. I feel lucky I found it.
It was disconcerning that it would shift from first to second to third in a few feet. combined with the looser converter I thought I was in real trouble like a major slip.
Its all a learning curve. This value only has to do with the trans not anything else so it didn't show up in my scans.
Dave

That makes sense. Glad you got it figured out and everything is working well!
Hart_Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #13
Custom 68

me too trying to finish up so I can head to cruisn the coast. Gonna leave Wednesday about a 10 drive. not my first time I have thrashed to get ready for a trip. I am going to change to a larger trans cooler and need to mount the shifter and a few other things...