The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
loujizzel

Width of body stripe

Can someone tell me the width of this body stripe.... I know the width of the stripe will be slightly different in the front fender area because the Body Lines slightly dips downward and also in the rear of the bed the angle on the bottom of the body stripe is different but I don't know what it is I just need the measurements please
Attached Images

Last edited by loujizzel; 10-02-2016 at 10:29 PM.
loujizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
loujizzel

Re: Width of body stripe

I guess I can start 1/2 inch from the body line but I don't know how far down to go
Old 10-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
loujizzel

Also need the measurements from the rear on the tailgate I don't have to tailgate molding
Old 10-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
loujizzel

If I had the trim on the truck it would be easy but I don't have the trim on the truck and I'm afraid to get it painted and then the body line is off once I put the body trim on that's why it's important I get the measurements
Old 10-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #5
f.monroe

Look up Ray mcavoy on here. I think I remember him having posted some real detailed measurements of the trim mounting holes. It would the perfect reference as to where to put the paint. Basically the top body line is the upper and if you follow the curve on the front fender and run it the same width all the way to the rear wheel well. It then tapers up to the tailgate area. Like you stated about 1/2" off that line.
Frank
Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #6
loujizzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
Look up Ray mcavoy on here. I think I remember him having posted some real detailed measurements of the trim mounting holes. It would the perfect reference as to where to put the paint. Basically the top body line is the upper and if you follow the curve on the front fender and run it the same width all the way to the rear wheel well. It then tapers up to the tailgate area. Like you stated about 1/2" off that line.
Frank
Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
f.monroe

I would pm him and ask if he was the one who had the trim attachment measurements . I can't search this forum correctly from my tablet so I couldn't look it up.
His user name is Ray_mcavoy or ray_macavoy. I don't remember For sure.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #8
ray_mcavoy

You have a good memory Frank! Yes, I'm the one that posted those trim hole measurements. Here's that sketch again:

And yes, the upper edge of the paint color transition is approximately 1/2" below the body line.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
loujizzel

Yes i seen that pic and to me its talking about the holes for the mounting brackets.... i just need the width of the stripe
Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #10
ray_mcavoy

Yes, that diagram is for the trim holes but it can also be used to figure out the paint stripe width. The edges of the stripe basically run along the same lines as the trim holes ... give or take a little since some of the holes aren't perfectly centered on the trim.

In other words, "connect the dots" between holes B, D, G, H, J, K, L, N, and P to form the line that marks the bottom edge of the paint stripe.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
Dads79GMC

Thanks Ray. I've seen this before; printed it, put it away, now have lost it.

One more thing, how about hole size?

Again, thanks!!

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016

Last edited by Dads79GMC; 10-03-2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: more
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #12
loujizzel

Ok I found the width of the body stripe it is 15 1/16 but there is a section on the rear of the bed where it seems to be at an angle bottom of the bed closest to the wheel does anybody know the measurements for that I wish I had a two-tone truck so I wouldn't be asking any of you guys this question it seems to be that no one has a two-tone C10 that can go out and measure it right quick I have attached some pictures to give you an idea of what measurement I'm looking for
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #13
loujizzel

Trust and believe I have my measuring tape on me at all times in my vehicle so I if I ever see a C10 to tone out there I'm jumping out and getting measurements even if I have to wait for the guy or girl to come out the place
Old 10-04-2016, 12:08 AM   #14
f.monroe

The diagram Ray posted shows the hole placement for the trim. If you marked all locations on the truck it also serves as a template for the stripe. You have the trim that is centered over the trim. It will cover the separation line. If you paint it too wide,high,or low it will show along the edge of the trim. If you paint along the hole locations the separation line will be centered behind the trim and you won't be able to see the separation in color. That's why this diagram is so helpful. It also shows the hole location of the lower trim behind the rear wheel and across the back of the tailgate area. It will dictate the width of the stripe where it tapers.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
daddyjeep

That is what I am thinking f.monroe, L is 12 3/4 from the body line and angles up to N which is 11 1/2. I am glad this was brought up again as I will need this information....eventually.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #16
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujizzel View Post
Ok I found the width of the body stripe it is 15 1/16 but there is a section on the rear of the bed where it seems to be at an angle bottom of the bed closest to the wheel does anybody know the measurements for that ...
Those dimensions are right on my diagram As Frank & daddyjeep pointed out, that tapered section at the rear of the bed starts off at 12-3/4" down from the body line right behind the wheel opening (hole L) and tapers up to 11-1/2" (hole N).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads79GMC View Post
Thanks Ray. I've seen this before; printed it, put it away, now have lost it.

One more thing, how about hole size?
You're welcome! There were about 4 different types of fasteners used in the various locations to retain the trim. I think the LMC catalog has a fairly decent diagram showing the style of fastener used at each location. Of the 4 types, there are sheetmetal screws that pass through the painted accent strip portion of the trim and require a relatively small hole (for a #8 screw if I remember correctly). Then there are some clips with 1/4" or so diameter studs that are fastened on the back side with nuts. I believe the factory holes for those were slightly oversize (maybe about 5/16" or so) to allow for some fine adjustment of the trim. And some locations that weren't easily accessible from the back used snap-in clips that have a fairly large hole (about 3/8" if I remember correctly). And you have to be extra careful with locating those holes since they can't be over-size for adjustment or the clips won't snap in tight. Finally, many locations along the middle of the doors & bedsides used plastic clips with 3M molding tape that don't require any holes.

And that reminds me, I should also point out that my sketch doesn't show all of the factory trim holes (especially on the front fenders). I drew that up when I was preparing Dad's 77 GMC for a new paint job. We wanted to minimize the number of holes we had to drill in the new body panels so we chose to substitute some extra stick-on clips in several places when we put the trim back on.