The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
ggucci3

New alternator, 4 regulators, still can't find voltage draw

1973 chev g10, just replaced the alternator and regulator again. There is a current draw somewhere in the charging system, just cannot find where. The system charges at 17-18volts, so i'm burning through regulators. key off, the battery shows 4 amps draw; when I disconnected the regulator, the draw goes to 0. Any ideas??
ggucci3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: New alternator, 4 regulators, still can't find voltage draw

A 73 G10? As in van?
Suggest posting this in the electrical forum and reviewimg the existing wiring against the factory manual's schematic.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: New alternator, 4 regulators, still can't find voltage draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggucci3 View Post
1973 chev g10, just replaced the alternator and regulator again. There is a current draw somewhere in the charging system, just cannot find where. The system charges at 17-18volts, so i'm burning through regulators. key off, the battery shows 4 amps draw; when I disconnected the regulator, the draw goes to 0. Any ideas??
17-18 volts are you sure. That should be enough to pop bulbs and kill just about everything in the truck.
Have you tried taking the negative battery cable loose and putting your test light clipped to the cable and to the battery. Then start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out. This will tell you what circuit the draw is.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggucci3 View Post

Four amps is a lot of draw with the key off. If you unplug your regulator and the draw goes away it would seem that the draw is in the regulator. Have you disconnected the alternator plug and the large wire on the bAT stud while leaving the regulator plugged in?

you are throwing the alternator into full output with 17 to 18 volts and a four amp draw would not do that. It suggests to me that the regulator or the alternator plug is wired wrong.

The regulator should be wired as follows.
F -blue
2- white
3- red
4- brown

The alternator is wired.

R- white
F- blue

Having the blue and white wires switched would create a draw and it might throw the alternator into full charge.

Do you have a battery gauge in the truck or a charging light and how are you determining the four amp draw and the voltage output? I assume with a multi-meter.

This is the way the 72 wiring shows. The factory converted to the internally regulated alternator in 75 which is doable on the older vehicles as well. This might be your best bet if you can't find the draw.

Name:  ammetershunt.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  36.3 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
starterman99

A 1973 should be internally regulated 10si. Do you have an external regulator? all my application catalogs list 1973 as internally regulated alternator. when you got the new alternator did it look exactly like the original and hook up the same way or was the two wire plug different?