The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
LongBox

Progress Report on my 69

I had posted about finding this truck, and about having pushrod and valve troubles, because the truck had sat for 14 years. Here's an update, and some photos:

(I decided that the only way to look after the valve troubles was to do it right the first time, so the truck now has 16 new lifters (the cam and the old lifters look really good, but since it's apart, new lifters make sense), 16 new pushrods, 16 new rockers, new rocker pivot nuts and washers, and of course, I had the heads and the manifold machined.

Since the coolant and distributor were out anyway, changed coolant, and did a full ignition tune up, with new cap, rotor, uniset, and plugs. Filled the pan with Mobil 1 5W-30 (there's a lot of assembly lube on the cam and lifters), and started and idled fast to break in the lifters. Set the dwell and timing, and so far, the engine is running like a champ.

Decided to machine-polish the body, so got out the PC 7424, and hit it with polish. Man, what a difference that makes. I also pressure washed the undercarriage, and under the fenders and box.

Still to come, a new fuel gauge sender, a cigar lighter assembly, and then, who knows. The truck is so "grampa original", that I hate to change anything. For sure, the camper is coming off, but I may just leave it original paint, original rubber floor mats, and original AM radio. Changing to power steering is looking more and more likely, as this thing is a bear to drive in tight quarters with the old armstrong system.
Attached Images

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote