The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Lost81c10

245/60/15 BFg radial TA load rate issue

Ran into a load rating issue...I decided to finally replace my tires and wanted to run 245/60 for the front and 295/50 for the rear on the 10 inch rallies as many have done. So today i decided to go to Discount tires to order a set of Bfs and to my surprise, they tell me they cant get me nor install the tires due to the tire load rating on them. They say that the fvgw is more then the rate on the 245s. What am I missing here? How have you all dealt with this kind of issue or worked around it. I see them on a lot here…puzzeled….
Thanks.
Lost81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: 245/60/15 BFg radial TA load rate issue

What size wheel you running up front wth the 245 an when i had my cooper cobras mounted didnt have a problem with them telling anything like that.....jus go to a diff place that sells tires.
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:39 AM   #3
Lost81c10

I am running 8s up front and have 10s for the rear.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
74CustomK20

I'd say someone overloaded their truck running them and wound up blowing one out and tried to sue em as everyone wants to now a days. I'd just go elsewhere if you are set on those.
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
95 S_Trucker

What is the front axle rating on the truck?

The tires have a load rating of 100, which is 1764 pounds. Twice that is 3528.

Legally, they can refuse to mount them if the front axle weight(on the placard) is higher than 3528.

You should also be able to get them from another tire place if you are set on them.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74CustomK20 View Post
I'd say someone overloaded their truck running them and wound up blowing one out and tried to sue em as everyone wants to now a days. I'd just go elsewhere if you are set on those.
that part of the issue. liability they said.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
What is the front axle rating on the truck?

The tires have a load rating of 100, which is 1764 pounds. Twice that is 3528.

Legally, they can refuse to mount them if the front axle weight(on the placard) is higher than 3528.

You should also be able to get them from another tire place if you are set on them.
the truck is a 1/2 ton c10. the front weight is 2600 and the GVW is 4900. the rep sent an email to manufacturer or someone, but he is supposed to get back with me and see what they said. i can get them from Summit now since they have them now but my concern is if there is a real safety issue. I didn't think it would be being that i see lots of them on our truck. thanks.

as far as being set on these, unfortunately choices in 15s are dwindling down and its the only choice available for a 10 inch and still keep it under 28 inches diameter, that I know of or have found...unless someone know some other choices on the 15s. 275 wont sit well in a 10 inch from what I have heard, they would be too stretched out.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
95 S_Trucker

There's no reason they shouldn't have mounted them. That's well under the max for the tire.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Lost81c10

Quote:
There's no reason they shouldn't have mounted them. That's well under the max for the tire.
so what your saying is that each tire has a load rating of 1764 (from Discount website also) and so between both, they should be able to carry the front load of 2900?
Old 10-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
Jaysonb

I had the same problem when I ordered rims and tires frpm discount tire direct. I ended up having to order the front tires separate, then took them in to get mounted.
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
Lost81c10

I did think about doing that, but now it would have to be to different one. I called another tire place and they said the same thing but the guy and the manager said that its not that big of a difference and that they could do it. and its not a mom & pop place, its Tires Plus...and they can even get them for me overnight as opposed to Discount 7 days....

My thing was trying to find out how it was that if its a risk factor or more of a faster ware & tear on the tires themselves.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #12
Lost81c10

Quote:
well I spoke to Discount and they stuck by their initial word. they could not explain to me how its was that it didn't meet the load rating so go figure. they couldn't tell me either what weight their computer was showing for this vehicle.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #13
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

I'm running that exact rim and tire combo on my 83, I just ordered everything from JEGS and had them mounted by my local GoodYear dealer with no problems, try a local independent tire shop.
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Take the wheels off, tell them theyre trailer tires

Last edited by KQQL IT; 10-05-2016 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Typo
KQQL IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost81c10 View Post
well I spoke to Discount and they stuck by their initial word. they could not explain to me how its was that it didn't meet the load rating so go figure. they couldn't tell me either what weight their computer was showing for this vehicle.
It's Discount Tire.... aka corporate BS.

I had the same issue when I took my front tires in for mounting (purchased elsewhere locally because they didn't have them in stock). 1st thing the guy does is ask me type/model/year of truck. I told him I already had the tires & the wheels were sitting in the bed of the truck (loose).

He went out & he looked @ the tires. Went back in to his all knowing computer & said they could not mount them because of the load rating. I questioned the info but was told they do this to keep me from endangering myself & others on the road. I was pissed to say the least. I had been running the exact same tire size on my 90 swb 6cyl truck for over 5yrs w/o issue.

Did I say I was pissed? I went straight to my computer to do some investigating. I looked up the data on my tire choice (different size BFG Radial T/A's vs OE) & compared load ratings to everything Discount offered in the "correct" size for my truck by using their tire selection/vehicle info boxes.

All the tires were rated 'passenger car'.
The load rate variation of my tire choice vs. the choices they had were within 180lbs max (some were within a few pounds).

The main thing is the load rating was that 'P' = passenger car for ALL of the tires.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #16
SCOTI

Here's some of the info. 'P' metric (P225-75-15 or 245-60-15)) are both SL rated tires (Standard Load).....

Load Range / Ply Rating Identification

The load range/ply rating branded on a tire's sidewall identifies how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Passenger tires feature named load ranges while light truck tires use load ranges that ascend in alphabetical order (letters further along in the alphabet identify stronger tires that can withstand higher inflation pressures and carry heavier loads). Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings and/or the actual number of casing plies were used to identify the relative strength with higher numeric ratings or plies identifying tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions.

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire's internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply.

In all cases, when changing tire sizes or converting from one type of size to another, it is important to confirm that the Load Index in the tire's service description of the new tire is equal to or greater than the Load Index of the original tire and/or that the new tire's rated load capacity is sufficient to carry the vehicle's gross axle weight ratings.

"The load range/ply rating branded on a tire's sidewall identifies how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure."

Passenger Tires

Since most P-metric passenger tires are manufactured in the standard load range, they will have nothing branded on their sidewalls or may be branded standard load and identified by an SL in their descriptions, as in P235/75R-15 SL.

Extra load P-metric tires will be branded extra load, and identified by an XL in their descriptions, as in P235/75R-15 XL.

Light load P-metric tires will be branded light load, and identified by an LL in their descriptions, as in P285/35R-19 LL.

Note: Only P-metric sized tires with 45-series aspect ratios or lower may be manufactured in a light load configuration. Light load tires are designed to carry less weight than standard load tires and have been developed for specific applications — typically when relatively large tire sizes are used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on relatively small cars or for Track & Competition DOT tires used for racing applications.

P-Metric Passenger Vehicle Tires

Load Ranges

Abbreviated

Maximum Load Pressure

Light Load LL 35 psi (240 kPa)*
Standard Load Nothing or SL 35 psi (240 kPa)*
Extra Load XL 41 psi (280 kPa)*
*In an effort to internationally harmonize load ratings and ranges, recently introduced and future LL, SL and XL P-metric sizes will use ISO/Euro-metric maximum load pressures of 36 or 42 psi

So in a nutshell, Discount won't do it because it's not the OE recommended size or their 'plus sized' alternative. For my app, a 225-75 or 235-75 (the OE size) isn't going to fit on a truck lowered 5" in the front.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #17
Tom
driving is in my blood

haha its discount tire, they are MR. RULES!!!!!!!!
Go to a reasonable tire store and have whatever tires you want installed.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #18
MalibuSSwagon

I avoid corporate tire shops they have a script to stick to to sell you tires, prices are inflated and actual service competence is crap. Usually they also pay their "techs" crap money so the places are a revolving door. I actually have the script from a local chain for their sales people and and it's a bunch of BS, basically designed to talk you into products and services you don't need or will overpay for.

I go to a local tire place near me and either order tires there, or bring them tires I ordered online to have mounted. Never an issue and they do large volumes of tires everyday so they know their stuff.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote