The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
chain1

Thinking of Buying a C10

Hello all,
New to the forum. Apologies in advance for the long post. I've registered because I enjoy talking cars and trucks and have had gained a good amount of knowledge from other forums. I'm looking to purchase a C10 and have been researching them for a while now. I originally wanted one a few years ago but couldn't find one and needed a car so ended up getting a new wrangler instead which didn't really do it for me. My current car is a 2014 Mustang GT/CS which I love but I rarely drive. I generally only put about 1200 miles a year on my car so I thought it would be fun to have something a bit more unique and not spend a fortune on something that just sits outside most of the time. I also often park on the street so I didn't want anything fragile/expensive. Back to the main point, I'm looking for a truck that is essentially turn-key, I'm not looking for a project (no garage/limited skills). I'm trying to spend under 20k which seems doable and want a short bed, manual transmission. What do you think my chances are of finding a truck that fits the bill. I've seen some at classic car dealers that seem to meet the criteria but figured I'd check with the experts to see if I was on the right track. I live in the DC Metro area and there are really none to be found around here.
Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
chain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Shinysideup

Re: Thinking of Buying a C10

Are you a robot? You say you cant find a c10, and have a 20k budget.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
LongBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysideup View Post
Are you a robot? You say you cant find a c10, and have a 20k budget.
Maybe that's just because of the situation in the DC area? There are always a few on the local Craigslist where I live. Having said that, being flexible, and being willing to wait for the right truck are probably key to finding a good deal.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
SS Tim

Limited driving plus metro outside/street parking doesn't sound like a good idea with an old truck. I'd really worry about it getting stolen as these truck have very limited anti-theft measures. Without a garage insurance is probably going to be an issue for anywhere near its replacement value.

Last edited by SS Tim; 10-05-2016 at 08:31 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
WORNBRAKES

I am about 40 minutes from you and am checking craigslist from Richmond to Baltimore. There are a few nice ones out there but you are going to have to widen your search area. Check here on the board as well. If you find something across the country, you could fly out there, inspect it and have it shipped back to DC with the budget you are talking about.

I am assuming that you want a fleetside and not a step? That in a manual might be a chalenge as most people put an autmatic in them when they restore them.

SS Tim has a valid point. A $2k classic pickup sitting on the street is not that desirable. A $20k classic pickup is going to get everones attention. I would look at renting a garage in the city or something more secure than the street. The trucks are easy to break into and hotwire.

If I see something I will keep you in mind.

69 C10 305/350
71 K5 Basket case
75 K10 Rescue **Parting out**
77 MG Midget **Parting out**
15 6.7L Cummins
WORNBRAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
Kw69

Welcome and glad to hear that you are wanting a C10. You can find what your looking for, you most likely will be traveling to purchase it. Look for one that is not a northern truck, more of a south west or any area not prone to snow. Take your time, shop the classifieds via net every day. I see several down here in Florida and Georgia area. I came across mine locally and was unexpected. The guy reluctantly had to sell it and I had the cash so it was much easier. These trucks are easy to work on if you need to and parts seem easy to come by. Make a list of what you want on options and what you can live with. Buy only in person if possible and feel free to ask as much questions as you need to on here. And above all take your time, the right truck for you will show up. I hope that you can find a secure location to secure the truck, they seem to be collectible and easy to steal unless u have a really good security system. The only downside in owning one is that you want to own another.... At 43 I have had over 50 vehicles. I currently own a really nice 09 GmC 2500HD with all the goodies... Funny though, I really like my 69 C10. To me it's a real truck, and everywhere I go with it, people ask about it. Good luck on your new venture and remember take your time for the right one.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
57taskforce
All about them K’s

They aren't all that easy to come by in the D.C. Area. I grew up on the loudoun county Va. side of Harpers Ferry Wv. They are around but your much more likely to have to deal with rust if they've been in the area there whole lives. I'd search out here in the southwest, any given day I normally see at least 5 of these trucks in my travels and it's rarely the same trucks two days in a row. They are out there. As said above take your time searching eBay, Craigslist, etc. there's a way you can search craigslist all over the country but I'm not sure how to do it. Maybe somebody else will chime in.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
chain1

Thanks everyone for all the advice. What a great forum. As far as insurance, that's my next step. I did some preliminary research and it seems like I can get coverage even though parked outside. While I do park on the street, it's in a very safe neighborhood so I'm not too worried about theft. I would be installing some sort of anti-theft/tracking device though. I've been wanting classic car for a while but hated the thought of parking it on the street but ultimately realized I park a $40k car there now and there are other much more expensive cars out there too so I figure one of these trucks is a good compromise. I'll be less worried about people parking around it too with the big steel bumpers as opposed to the painted plastic ones on modern cars. I came up with the 20k number because that's what I've been seeing online at classic car dealerships. I have no doubt I could pay less if I bought it directly from an owner. Buying from a dealership has it's benefits though too.
Thanks again. I'll keep looking. The good thing is that I'm in no rush.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
chain1

Hello again, just an update. I did find a truck that fits "most" of my criteria at a large classic car dealership. The one thing that concerns me and isn't what I'm really looking for is the fact that the top has been chopped 4 inches. It looks great in the pictures and if the description hadn't said anything I would never have noticed. Other than that it seems very clean. Black, new interior, manual, 355. I was just curious if this was something that is done to these trucks. This is my first time seeing one with a chopped top and it definitely scares me.
Thanks!
Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
Kw69

Well it really depends on what your looking for. If your looking for somebody's else project that has been done and you don't mind mods then that's your thing. Personally I don't like someone's else mods cause you really don't know if they did it correctly or not. Plus if you looking for more of original truck, I would pass. That's what I was looking for more of an original truck and that's what I got. It was worth the wait. Original trucks or mostly original are worth much more in my opinion then the modded ones. Not disrespecting anybody here that has done mods to fit their needs, so guys please don't take it that way. So the question to you OP is do you want more of an original type truck or modded truck? That's what you alone have got to settle on then go look for the one in that category. Good luck keep us posted!
Old 10-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
LongBox

Personally, I'd take a pass on a truck with a chopped top, or any other major mod. Two reasons: I like them the way the factory built them, and I have a strong hunch the mod will adversely affect the re-sale value should I ever want to sell. And all it takes to make you want to sell is finding one you like better...

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #12
chain1

I tend to agree with you on this. Not knowing how the top was chopped scares me and who knows what else was done. As far as original vs modded, I'm good with either. I'm not too concerned with resale, I just want something that runs well and is reasonably reliable. I'm perfectly OK with a newer drivetrain, updated interior, disk brakes, etc, if it makes it more comfortable.
Thanks again for the opinions. This is a great forum.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #13
TwoFiftyShifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain1 View Post
Hello again, just an update. I did find a truck that fits "most" of my criteria at a large classic car dealership. The one thing that concerns me and isn't what I'm really looking for is the fact that the top has been chopped 4 inches. It looks great in the pictures and if the description hadn't said anything I would never have noticed. Other than that it seems very clean. Black, new interior, manual, 355. I was just curious if this was something that is done to these trucks. This is my first time seeing one with a chopped top and it definitely scares me.
Thanks!
Look around the web more. Craigslist, eBay... do yourself a favor.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Have you looked at this thread, members post daily on here and when you click on link that isa day or tow old and the truck is no longer available you know it was good deal.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693849

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #15
sawyerrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain1 View Post
I'm not too concerned with resale, I just want something that runs well and is reasonably reliable.
With due respect, you should be concerned with resale because life happens. People get divorced, have health issues or lose their jobs or you might simply lose interest. Having said that, I'm getting ready to buy a Gaylord bed cover which will probably do nothing to increase the value of my truck.
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
chain1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Have you looked at this thread, members post daily on here and when you click on link that isa day or tow old and the truck is no longer available you know it was good deal.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693849
This is great. Thank you. Gives me an idea of what these trucks are actually going for.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #17
chain1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerrm View Post
With due respect, you should be concerned with resale because life happens. People get divorced, have health issues or lose their jobs or you might simply lose interest. Having said that, I'm getting ready to buy a Gaylord bed cover which will probably do nothing to increase the value of my truck.
You're absolutely right. I certainly don't want to pay more than something is worth. Clearly buying a truck with a chopped top is going to drastically limit the buyers market should I ever try to sell it which is why I agree with everyone who says to steer clear.
Thanks!
Old 10-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #18
nastety92

This vehicle is pretty good looking for the money.

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/5771487496.html
nastety92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
chain1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastety92 View Post
This vehicle is pretty good looking for the money.

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/5771487496.html
That is very nice. Thanks for the heads up. Since I'm in no rush, I'm still going to try to hold out for a Manual transmission but other than that, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I feel like I may have to let go of the idea of a manual transmission at some point but I'll hold out a little longer.
Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #20
WarMonger

Don't think about buying a C10, just do it. If you think hard you will realize how much, time, money, repairs, money, fighting off random women, guys constantly talking to you about how cool it is, time, money. You don't want that. You sound like a nice guy. Plus... Its habbit forming. You get one today............ BOOM next think you know you have 3. Like many members here.
1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #21
mcbassin
Still Learning

Welcome to the board! If you're not opposed to having a truck shipped, look a little further around the country. Most board members in the area are willing to go look at trucks for fellow members.
Good luck with the purchase.
PS, please don't buy a chopped top C/10, No disrespect, But Chevy got it right the first time......
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #23
franken

No love for C20, C30, K10, K20 or anything from GMC?
A CL search just in my area turned up 512 results and you can't find any for 20k or less?
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #24
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

i'll submit that if you want to drive it daily, I'd be inclined to find one that has had an LS engine swap, if it was done right, as well as like you mentioned, disc brakes, and I'd want A/C too in a daily driver. All these should not be a problem with a 20K budget though, but of course you just have to find the right one. Here's one in the richmond area, but I don't think you'd want this as a daily driver. It's a pretty raucous hot rod with no heat or radio.
http://richmond.craigslist.org/ctd/5781067898.html
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:21 AM   #25
66clow

I'd do some road trips or even fly to some places for that kinda budget it'd be worthwhile. My wife and I made it a weekend trip 5 hours away to look at mine. Also take a trip to a c10 truck show to see some for sale.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote