The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
JCCAT

67 c10 drive shaft

Hi all, I am new to this site and posting my first thread. I am "restoring" a 1967 c10 long bed small window PU and have a problem with the drive shaft. The shaft is in 2 pieces with a carrier bearing in the middle. The "knuckle" just to the rear of the carrier bearing is no good as the u joint was bad cause someone had welded one of the u joint end caps in place vice using a spring clip. After finally getting the u joint off, the knuckle is not usable. The auto parts stores say they don't carry the knuckle but I did find a place that can special order me one for $130. Does anyone know of a cheaper one or can I maybe replace that shaft portion of the same length and then use a "regular" knuckle, assuming the u joints cap diameter is the same as the old? Thanks for any help. NOTE: the engine was replaced with a 350 and it has a turbo 3 speed automatic transmission. I don't know if the rear end and drive shafts are original or not.
JCCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Re: 67 c10 drive shaft

I don't know what knuckle you are talking about. Is it the bolt on yoke or the weld on yoke. Either way powertrain industries in springfield mo can get you back on the road. The shaft needs to go to a driveline shop to be rebalanced as an assembly anyway, why not have one shop do all of the work right.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
LongBox

I don't know if this has been done or even discussed, but the GMT 400 series trucks (88-98) have a one-piece aluminum driveshaft. It is quite a large diameter piece, so it might not fit, but if it can be made to work, it gets rid of the center bearing, and probably saves some weight, as it's made out of aluminum.

Someone with more knowledge than me will chime in on this I hope.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #4
GR8-68

What part of North Carolina are you in ? There is Oliver drive shafts in Winston Salem that could fix you up. Welcome to the forum also, enjoy all the wisdom you find on here

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
JCCAT

Thanks for the replies. I should have said yoke vice knuckle to be more clear and it is the bolt on piece. I found one online for $90 and it should arrive tomorrow. I'm not much of a car guy so I am struggling with this build. Does this shaft assembly really need to be balanced? This is only going to be my daily driver and "prep mobile". Nothing over 65 mph and no racing.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
brad_man_72
the boat guy

yes it really has to be balanced every time something is worked on. These and 60s gm cars with the same style light duty carrier bearings will not last without being properly balanced as an assembly.

Large diameter aluminum shafts won't work with the trailing arm cross member, 3.5" is the largest safe diameter. However many times a one piece shaft can work depending on application.

I've built a couple of thousand drive shafts. Rebuilt dozens of gm shafts with the ld carrier bearing. And a quick search of this forum for driveshaft problems or ANOTHER broken carrier bearing bracket will have threads that end with having the driveshaft balanced.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #7
JCCAT

OK, you convinced me, now to find a place near me......