The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2003, 10:59 PM   #1
FRANKIEPOTATAS

High hump/ Low hump?

was wondering if anyone out there knew whether the four speeds came in the low hump cabs or whether it was strictly for the high humps. I was thinking about swapping my 3 speed for a richmond six speed and wanted to know if 4 speed low hump cabs were out there so I could get the shifter cover etc... out of it to keep the truck looking stock. thanks.
FRANKIEPOTATAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Never heard of one, and acording to the books, they all had high humps if they got a 4 speed...but I wouldn't be suprised...
Talk to crazy longhorn, he did a 6 speed in his. Not sure on which floor he has though.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:15 AM   #3
FRANKIEPOTATAS

thanks longhorn man for the info.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
dubie

i believe you can use a 4 speed from a car like a Camaro in a low hump cab. The truck trannies you need the high hump for sure. I am sticking with my 3 speed so I don't have to worry about that..............yet

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:33 AM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I couldnt say for sure how the Richmond would fit under a low hump. My longhorn was a low hump, but was bodydropped, & the hump was reworked to originally fit a 400 turbo. The richmond fit right in after chopping the shifter hole& building a box to go around the shifter(shifter is mounted fairly high on the trans). I think if I were to do a "stock floor" truck, i would cut out the low hump pan section, & opt for a bolt in high hump......you might get 2 high humps, so you can lenghten the hump(that richmond is pretty long& the shifter is right on the @ss end of the trans). A bench seat may also be a problem for shifter position.Good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:50 AM   #6
FRANKIEPOTATAS

thanks again. I don't know exactly what I'm doing yet but I originally was going to go with the 400 trans with a gear vendors under/overdrive so I could just get stock parts for the swap, but yesterday a buddy of mine offered me his richmond 5 speed cause he wants the 6 speed now for a good deal.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:54 AM   #7
FRANKIEPOTATAS

from what I have "heard" and felt around on... the richmond should fit under my low hump (but I wouldn't bet my life on it). It just kills me when people just butcher their floor to get the shifter in - and I am not one that believes in cutting up the floor in order to spend the hours fabricating it to maintain a stock appearance. I just don't have that time anymore
Old 10-09-2003, 02:48 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

If you do have trouble with the hump, Im pretty sure it will be in the shifter area. My 383 is also mounted in I 6 position, so that sets the eng farther back(3 1/2" can make a pretty big difference in shifter/seat clearance). Let us know how it works out.....good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote