The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2016, 01:08 AM   #1
canonball

Selling the truck out of state, need some advice

Hey guys, I'm selling my '63 and have a guy in FL interested in buying it. Anyone have some info on the typical procedures for that? I'm assuming I fill out my part of the title transfer and send it to him to fill out the rest, along with a bill of sale, but is that it? He's taking care of the transport to get it down there. I was reading that some DMV offices in certain states have slight different regulations and possibly fees to bring a vehicle from one state to another. This is a new process for me so I'm just trying to avoid a legal headache for me or the potential buyer, any info would be awesome!
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:21 AM   #2
TheCougarine

Re: Selling the truck out of state, need some advice

I've sold quite a few cars out of state. All you should have to do is fill out your side of the title and I'd write him a bill of sale as well for good measure. I'm not sure if Florida needs them or not for a private sale. I know we don't need them here but as you said States are different. I've sent two trucks to Florida and I've never had any problems.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:15 AM   #3
HugoV

Title and bill of sale on your end. Also, don't forget to jump online and report you sold the truck to him. Is the truck up in CL?
HugoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #4
cg285

florida doesn't need a bill of sale. i always get one though. some states require notary stamp, some years of titles require a notary stamp (older florida titles did-newer ones not). check with your local dmv to see if they have a form releasing you from liability until the title is transferred. technically you are liable if the title is in your name
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
patrickk1

While Florida does not require a Bill Of Sale (since the Title contains all the exact same information), I always did two copies of the bill of sale with both signatures, one for him and one for me.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
oem4me

Let him do some homework in Florida to cover his own registration needs, and I would cover your own behind by each getting a signed copy of a sales agreement stating the truck is sold "as-is, where is", and that no part of the sale is dependent upon any transportation or Florida registration issues.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
cg285

i just googled and got the wash st dmv that show there is a "report of sale" on your title that you fill out and send in immediately to release your liability
Old 10-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Mathew21

Just curious how is he paying you for the truck?
Old 10-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
canonball

Yeah I sold a motorcycle last year and did a bill of sale in addition to the report of sale on the title just for good measure. I've bought and sold vehicles in FL before when I used to live there but never from out of state so I'm not familiar with policies for that. I just want to make sure it's a smooth transaction and we don't run into any hiccups on either end.

HugoV - Yeah it's on CL and also on Hemmings

Mathew21 - We haven't exactly figured it out yet but we've discussed wire transfer, paypal, and a couple other options.

I think he locked down a transport so we're going to nail down details for title transfer, bill of sale, payment, etc. I really appreciate the input guys, I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
jocko

Bill of Sale and Report of Sale are two different things. BOS is a transactional document that gives the holder(s) a record of the money exchanged. ROS releases you of any liability incurred by the buyer immediately after the sale (i.e. If he plows into kids at a bus stop as he leaves your house and drives off and the only info anyone has is your truck's description or tag (state dependent).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
Mathew21

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Mathew21 - We haven't exactly figured it out yet but we've discussed wire transfer, paypal, and a couple other options.
I have bought and sold a few vehicles out of state. I always do a bank to bank wire transfer. I think that's the safest for the seller. I would not do Paypal for for the simple reason the buy can dispute the transaction after the fact and cause a headache for you.

Last edited by Mathew21; 10-12-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #12
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Agreed Mathew21

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #13
'63GENIII

Agreed on the wire transfer.
Years back, we sold our 21 window Bus to a guy in the U.K. I, being ever paranoid that it was some Nigerian scam opened a separate bank account to receive the wire transfer from the buyer. Took a few days to go through but did so without a hitch. We sent him a scanned BOS, and scanned copy of the signed title. He was pretty agreeable to give us his info so we could fill out the Release of Interest form as well.
The only hitch that we encountered was that the transport / shipping company also received the signed off title when they picked up the Bus. My understanding was that they wanted to CYA themselves against transporting possible stolen vehicles.
All in all it went off without any issues.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:51 AM   #14
Softpatch

I just did it to PA from seattle

sent lots and lost of pictures via text /email
video, and agree on price
done it before... from seattle to ARK
seller ask about shipper I helped said I used XYZ shipping
and buyer called XYZ shipping $950 7-10 days (2800 + miles)

sent picture and Vin on car/ title
the buyer sent me a cashier check

I cashed the check then sign the title with bill of sale dated it and sent it First class mail gave the seller a picture of the USPS receipt with the shipping number on it

4 days later the shipper called all the time keeping the buy in the loop via text with pictures
shipper and I set a time for pick up ...met with shipper sign shippers papers
sent pictures of transactions

7 day later the buyer sent me picture of car delivery
smooth

1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #15
canonball

Thanks for all the info guys! We did a wire transfer, overnighted the title and bill of sale, and as of last night is on a truck headed to its new owner. Really appreciate all the advice!
Old 10-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #16
patrickk1

Just an FYI.... People fake cashiers checks on a regular basis. If Fake, the banks might not figure it out until 5-7 days after you deposit it. I usually tell people that I require 7days before I'll ship the vehicle or send the title (to allow the check to clear). The other option is to make them draw the cashiers check from a major bank chain and then call the 1-800 number from the banks website (not off the check) to verify the check and total check amount is valid.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #17
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickk1 View Post
Just an FYI.... People fake cashiers checks on a regular basis. If Fake, the banks might not figure it out until 5-7 days after you deposit it. I usually tell people that I require 7days before I'll ship the vehicle or send the title (to allow the check to clear). The other option is to make them draw the cashiers check from a major bank chain and then call the 1-800 number from the banks website (not off the check) to verify the check and total check amount is valid.
that's correct
Old 10-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #18
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Yep, I made sure I tell the buyer that cashier checks will require a 14 day hold before releasing vehicle or paperwork. If they are not agreeable to that, I don't want their business. Always protect yourself!
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #19
plastercracker

i bought a truck in nc. i sent him a cashier check then u ship picked it up with a signed and notarized title. i titled it in pa no problem. i would suggest getting it notarized to be sure buyer has no problem
plastercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #20
bpmcgee

Beware that giving your account information for wire transfers is very risky as well -- you're giving them all the information they need to wire money OUT of your account too.

When I recently completed a vehicle sale remotely, I set up a checking account specifically for the wire transfer to come in to, then transferred the money to my main account, and immediately closed the temporary one. That way the seller no longer has a valid account to use if they are trying to do something underhanded.

At least with Chase (which is my bank), all that's required to set up an account is 10 minutes of time on their website.

And let me reiterate what the others are saying about the Notification of Sale. You can read horror stories every day about people who buy vehicles, never register them, and leave the previous owner with thousands of dollars of tolls, parking violations, and towing fees.

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #21
Softpatch

Quote:
This is true.!......
and
That is why
When I went to my bank branch to( Cash) the Cashier Check(Not Deposit)
They made me wait while they verifie the check was Genuine.

If they can't verifie The cashiers check The bank probably wouldnot cash it
and if they cash it without verification it's on them not you.!

And if they say they have to deposite it
Then you notifie the buyer and let him know theres a hold on the check once it clears you'll send The title and bill of sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softpatch View Post
I just did it to PA from seattle
sent picture and Vin on car/ title
the buyer sent me a cashier check
I cashed the check then sign the title with bill of sale dated it and sent it First class mail gave the seller a picture of the USPS receipt with the shipping number on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! We did a wire transfer, overnighted the title and bill of sale, and as of last night is on a truck headed to its new owner. Really appreciate all the advice!
Glad to hear it was happy ending

..................Sp

1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote