The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Mgicm

bags in the rear...photos?

Anyone have photos of what a properly done rear with airbags should look like? Looking at a truck and the bag on the rear when the truck is fully raised looks odd.. like on an angle? Will try to get a photo. It is on a s10 frame.

thanks
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: bags in the rear...photos?

try to get a pic for us but if the mounting plate is at an angle, due to the truck being "aired up" more than it was set up for at ride height, the bags may sit funny . if the suspension is set up to sit really low, but the truck is aired up to get it out of the weeds, then the bag mount may be at an acute angle due to geometry changes from full down to full up. that would put the bag at a funny angle as well, if full up, so it would look like the bag is sitting lop sided. you would need to know what the suspension ride height is set up to be, then set the truck at that height, and then take a look at the bags to see if they look right. at ride height the control arms, or radius arms or whatever you want to call them, should be parallel to the ground because as they go from parallel to angled the wheel base changes. shorter arms exaggerate the problem.
make sense?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
Mgicm

no lol. i will reread a few times and try to grab some photos. thank you
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
58SkuzBukit

Basically what he's explaining is that the axle will rotate, as well as move forward and aft as it moves throughout the suspension travel. These tendencies will be a it different depending on setup (I.e. Parallel link, triangulated 4 link, trailing arm setup, etc.)

I'm currently going through the same thing bagging my 58 on a tri 4 link. Bags look goon aired out, but axle moves back and rotates slightly rearward at lift. I plan on splitting the difference between the angles by setting the brackets up at ride height. They'll be a little askew aired out and fully inflated, but good to go while ridin.

At least that's what I think it should be set to.
58SkuzBukit is offline   Reply With Quote