The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2003, 01:14 AM   #1
orange72350

Is My Tranny Screwed???

I pulled the 350 outta my truck today. did everything right, had a jack under the tranny holding it up. went for supper and parts, came back and saw something really bad. the jack under the tranny leaked down, and basically dropped my tranny. the tranny fell to the passenger side and down in front. its still laying in the truck, but the tailshaft is nearly touching the bottom of the cab. i have 2 guestions.

1-the tranny mount, from what i can see, isnt solid, as in there isnt a bolt runs though the rubber and holds the trannyand mount to the crossmemeber. or am i wrong? if thats the case, can the tranny just be set back on the mount and bolted too the engine again?

2-The shaft(i think its called the tailshaft) that comes out of the back off the tranny has been pulled out about 1.5 inches furhter than usual. Is that bad? it must be, but im really hoping that it can be pushed back in and away we go. if not, what needs to be done?

I really hope these questions make sense, as this is really important to me and i hope i can get some answers. thanx a ton in advance
dale

2000 skiddo mxz 700. Camoplast 1.5 inch track, jaws twin pipes, b+b can, custom built and weighted clutch, wiseco piston, high comp heads. its very fast. wow.

72 c-10 longbox. Bright Orange. Brand new 350, rv cam, performer intake, qjet, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust into hooker areo chamber mufflers. Body work coming soon.

"dont let yer mind wander, its to little to go places by itself."

"Forget the herse, cause i'll never die"-ACDC Back In Black

"If It's To Loud, Yer Just Too Old"

"I Love Anything Fast Enough To Do Something Stupid In"

"Instant idiot, just add beer!!""
orange72350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 01:25 AM   #2
orange72350

btw, its a th-350. 2 wheel drive

2000 skiddo mxz 700. Camoplast 1.5 inch track, jaws twin pipes, b+b can, custom built and weighted clutch, wiseco piston, high comp heads. its very fast. wow.

72 c-10 longbox. Bright Orange. Brand new 350, rv cam, performer intake, qjet, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust into hooker areo chamber mufflers. Body work coming soon.

"dont let yer mind wander, its to little to go places by itself."

"Forget the herse, cause i'll never die"-ACDC Back In Black

"If It's To Loud, Yer Just Too Old"

"I Love Anything Fast Enough To Do Something Stupid In"

"Instant idiot, just add beer!!""
orange72350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 01:43 AM   #3
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Your driveshaft can just be pushed right back in there. There is an alignment tab on your slip-yoke, so that will need to line up for it to go back into the tranny.
Your tranny mount is both rubber and metal. It is somewhat suspended in the air you might say, so that your tranny can move around a bit. Depending on how far your tranny fell, it may have ripped the rubber in the mount and you will need to replace it (simple fix and cheap). But there aren't any problems that could have happend that are worth sweating about.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
fatfords

I think SWEET7T just about covered it. Be sure that your torque converter didn't slide forward, or if it did, be sure to get it installed correctly with everything lined up and engaged, prior to re-installing the engine.
Good Luck,
fatfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:08 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

without a doubt change the transmission mount i paid like $8 for mine at napa for a later year th 350 trans other than that unless something actually cracked or the tailshaft seal bent ( like a $5 item which just pops out and in)you didnt hurt it
make sure when ya set it back up straight and all you seat the torque converter in right

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote