The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Shift lever housing removal?

1971 non-tilt, auto-trans.

I'm dismantling the steering column and am at a loss with the shift housing. I read someplace you just pull it back to remove it, but as you can see by this picture that's not going to work. Perhaps the transmission is supposed to be in neutral instead of park? If so, unfortunately the gear shift is locked up at the moment. Don't know why, but I can't change gears at the column, not that I should.

I do have a manual, but..............................Speak of the manual, what's remove "the intermediate steering shaft flange to flexible coupling bolts?"

Thanks for any help.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-15-2016 at 10:45 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Shift lever housing removal?

Perhaps the intermediate steering shaft flange to flexible coupling bolts is where the column mounts under the dash? Other than the lower column assembly bracket (somewhat square plate), I haven't removed or adjusted anything below what you see in the picture.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 10-16-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Perhaps the intermediate steering shaft flange to flexible coupling bolts is where the column mounts under the dash? Other than the lower column assembly bracket (somewhat square plate), I haven't removed or adjusted anything below what you see in the picture.
If I remember correctly you have to hold the column tube (unless it is still bolted solid) & twist the shift collar to unlock it from the tube, then pull up on it.

The flexible coupling would be the rag joint down by the steering box, and the intermediate steering shaft flange would be the the flange on the bottom of the intermediate steering shaft.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Column tube I'm assuming is the "jacket". It's still mounted, I haven't done anything below the shift assembly less the bottom plate to dash panel. The top of the tube/jacket prevents removal at the moment. It's probably something simple, but I can't see what it is and don't want to bust something.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

You need to get it in the neutral position. It is hanging on the mast jacket. Remove the shift rods from the shift arms under the hood or the rods at the trans. You should be able to move it to the neutral position unless it is frozen to the shift tube.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Going by the book under STEERING COLUMN, one of the first things you're supposed to is:

Remove the intermediate steering shaft flange to flexible coupling bolts.

Remove column clamp screw(s) on engine side at firewall and remove or slide the clamp down the column.

From inside the vehicle, remove the screws from the toe pan cover and slide the cover and seal up the column.

Remove the cap screws from the column support bracket at the dash panel.

I haven't done any of these things, which might be why I can't remove the shift housing. I was going off some detailed instructions I found on this site. It mentions nothing about the above, and just reads pull the thing off.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
You need to get it in the neutral position. It is hanging on the mast jacket. Remove the shift rods from the shift arms under the hood or the rods at the trans. You should be able to move it to the neutral position unless it is frozen to the shift tube.
Yep that was the ticket. I had loosened the nut before I posted this thread, but my head wasn't there yet. I believe it was jammed at the "adjuster plate" (for lack of correct label). Once I pulled the rod and positioned everything to neutral the housing pulled right out. Thank you.

Here's a good thread for linkage if anyone interested.........

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491049

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-16-2016 at 07:27 PM.