The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
Jsoderbe

How low without C-notch?

Hi,

So I am ready for my first post! I bought a 1959 Apache Fleetside last week, and have just started to plan the build. The truck is completely apart, so it will be "intresting" to get it home. The good thing is that it is virtually rust free, and it look like a lot of parts will come with it. Bad thing is that the cab and front clip has very nice patina, but the bed is completely sand blasted! So I guess this will not be a patina look truck.

So, my first question (more to come) is how low I can get the truck without C-notching? The frame is way to nice to start to cut, and in Sweden where I live, the vehicle inspection does not like it at all. And, I want to keep the body stock, preferably even the bed.

I want the truck low, and currently I am looking at a C4 suspension swap. I was thinking about bagging it, but it looks like it doesnt fit our harsh climate well. Friends report about rust and road grime finding its way inside compressor and stuff.

So any thoughts around this? A pic of a finished C4-swapped non-notched truck would be ideal....

Regards,

Johan
Jsoderbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
b00sted

Re: How low without C-notch?

Here is one I found on the Hamb with a 4" drop axle and no notch.. Look real good.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Jsoderbe

Agreed, it looks very nice! On the hamb, where is that?

Thanks,

Johan
Jsoderbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
Coupeguy2001

H.A.M.B = Hokey Ass Message Board.

It's a hot rodder's website dedicated to all cars and trucks under (I think) 1966

I have a 57 chevy truck, and I installed 3" drop rear springs, and made my own 1 1/2" drop shackles, and it was too low. kept hitting the bump stops. So i took the bump stops out, and cut them with a hacksaw until they were 1/2" thick, and put them back in.

Still hit, so I installed one inch spacers under the springs to give me some relief without having to make another set of shackles. Now it doesn't hit. But I can't carry anything over 500 Lbs in the back with two people. 600 lbs with just me.
So to answer your question, I would say 3 1/2" tops. to get it to sit lower, you have to adjust your wheel size.
In order to do that, you are going to have to figure out your rear axle gear ratio.

In order to use smaller tires, you will have to have a higher gear ratio, and figure out the transmission final drive ratio.
So if your trans has overdrive, you can figure that the overdrive may have a 40% overdrive to 50% overdrive. That's normally what you would expect.
My truck has a Doug nash 4+3, and my final drive ratio is underdriven 50%.
I can cruise 75 mph at 1850 RPM. I have 27" tall tires and 17" wheels.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 10-16-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
dsraven

Check out ogre's build. He says his still bottoms even with a small c notch. One thing that may help you guys both is a beehive style bumper stop from a newer style chevy. Similar to an s10 rear suspension stock in an blazer for sure. Set up so the diff hits the stopper waaay before the frame. I have an 03 avalanche and the stock snubber is only about an inch away from touching at ride height with no one inside the truck and nothing in the box. They work well because their hollow beehive desigjn makes them variable rate. They just bolt on through the middle as well so less chance of delaminating from the mounting washer and leaving you with no snubber suddenly. Check one out at the parts store or ebay, wrecker etc.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
H.A.M.B = Hokey Ass Message Board.
i'll fix the translation for coupeguy
H.A.M.B. = Hundreds Angry Men Beotching

an axle flip will lower your truck 7'', the green/white truck looks almost as low as my truk
if that truck is not notched it probably spends a lot of time on the frame

you might get away with a 4'' drop without a c-notch

as mentioned i did a 3'' notch and axle flip without raising the bed
it did bottom out occasionally until i installed air shocks

here you can barely see the beehive style bump stop i used above the c-notch

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote