The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2016, 06:15 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

End in sight! Reassembly!

It looks like I may reach goal number 1: reassembly. The two front fenders are painted, I just have to pick the other up from the painter. I should be able to reassemble the front end soon, as in a couple of weeks.

I've made arrangements for a forum member to come over for help on that score and frankly, it has to be reassembled before winter as parts storage has gotten out of hand! I have my garage packed, fenders and cowl spilling over into my parents' garage parking spaces, and my grill assembly has been in my front living room for a year now!

Of course, as I reach this level I have begun to think of all the areas where I could have done better, but this is a learning process, mistakes will be made that I'll have to correct later.

Let me find some process pics for now.

She started out looking nice, although the amount of rust hiding under that paint is rather amazing.

A learning gold mine! My first broken bolt I got to drill out. Here the tip of an extractor brought even more experience in that area. You'd think a college degree would cover this sort of thing.

I really need to equipment-up and learn how to weld sheet metal. Other guys do it, I've hired my painter to weld up a fender, so it can be done. Future problem to be fixed right here.

Helped a stranger. Several men have helped me on here; I found I could return the favor. I also learned, when you think it will "take a week" it'll actually take a month.

Great bonding time with dad. My dad isn't the best helper, as he tends to see my property as "his property" and his advice as "commands, not advice," but he's great help nontheless, his levels of experience are invaluable, and I'm glad he could help me.

Science is a great thing but a sand blaster is better.

And I thought this was a lot to remove! Later, the bumper came off, the heater box got rebuilt, and the other fenders came off, the inners got replaced, and the other other got welded up....it had even more bondo that I thought possible.

Learned all kinds of new things, like how to bend, cut, and flare new fuel line. New skills are always worth the effort, even though those usually cost a lot in time and money.

Bushings replaced! I've wanted these old ones out since about 1991.....and to think dad said "what's wrong with the bushings?"

Some parts were just too far gone. I knew the inner was toast, figured the outer was too, had no idea it was this bad! I had to cut that inner fender out, the core support actually broke off around the stuck bolts! Both inner and outer replaced with NOS....not cheap nor easy but what worth doing is?

Neat little mod. Boy, if this new washer pump just works, this little mod will be a cool one.

Future things to ponder.....this seat cover wouldn't be original, but gosh it's pretty!

For what it's worth, she'll be better. Painter did a great job welding up this previously-unknown bondo hole. I definitely need to renovate the garage, get a welder, and learn how to weld up sheet metal.

What would you rather have? Original or fake? We all know the answer. The truck will never be "stock" but I was able to find a lot of NOS parts and met some really great guys in the process.

It helps to have support. My parents have been great, dad helping, mom allowing me to store parts in her house and garage, dad loaning his truck, I've met amazing people on this site, and this little gal has been stellar, nothing but encouragement from her, she even said she'd "get under the truck!" She may get the chance. I've dated some great women in my life, but this one takes the cake. Bad thing is she's 8,000 miles away.........she sent me this pic specifically for this thread.

More pics to come, hopefully soon!

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 10-18-2016 at 07:34 PM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
Toms67

Re: End in sight! Reassembly!

Looks like more than a project. Special people. Special times. And good bonding. Not just Bondo. Looks great.
Toms67 is offline   Reply With Quote