The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #1
Bowtied13

Lowering kit questions

Hey Squarebody family! I've got a question about my '84 C10.

What's the lowest drop I could put on my truck without doing a C-notch or anything? (I don't want to cut the frame) I bought the truck with its current stance, I think it's got lowering springs up front and shackles in the rear. I just want a little lower and the tires to tuck just a little.
Attached Images

Bowtied13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:44 AM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: Lowering kit questions

Looks like its lowered 2/4....you will have to add stock shackles an hangers then do a flip kit....u can go 6" drop wth no notch if u dont pull any trailers or haul anything an can jus add spindles up front an may need a smaller tire
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Bowtied13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
Looks like its lowered 2/4....you will have to add stock shackles an hangers then do a flip kit....u can go 6" drop wth no notch if u dont pull any trailers or haul anything an can jus add spindles up front an may need a smaller tire

So does it go 2/4 drop or 4/6 drop? Nothing really in between as far as static goes? So basically to go lower I will have to reverse what has been done? I don't pull trailers and don't really haul stuff. The tires I am running are 275/60r15.

On another note; if I combine lowering springs and lowering spindles up front does that increase how much it lowers overall? For example a 2 inch lowering spring + a 2 inch lowering spindle = 4 inches lowered overall? Is that how it works?

I guess I want to go lower but I don't want to affect drive-ability too much
Old 10-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
JWall
Frequent Flyer

So does it go 2/4 drop or 4/6 drop? Generally. You could do a 3" spring in front for 3/4.

Nothing really in between as far as static goes? So basically to go lower I will have to reverse what has been done? Yes, to achieve a 6" rear drop you will need factory shackles & hangers

if I combine lowering springs and lowering spindles up front does that increase how much it lowers overall? For example a 2 inch lowering spring + a 2 inch lowering spindle = 4 inches lowered overall? Is that how it works? Yes, that is correct
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Bowtied13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWall View Post
So does it go 2/4 drop or 4/6 drop? Generally. You could do a 3" spring in front for 3/4.

Nothing really in between as far as static goes? So basically to go lower I will have to reverse what has been done? Yes, to achieve a 6" rear drop you will need factory shackles & hangers

if I combine lowering springs and lowering spindles up front does that increase how much it lowers overall? For example a 2 inch lowering spring + a 2 inch lowering spindle = 4 inches lowered overall? Is that how it works? Yes, that is correct

So what would happen if I just did the flip kit on the rear without the stock components? Like with the current 4' inch drop. Would it drop it a lot lower or would it just not work?
Old 10-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Dude you might wana search the forum an read what ppl have done....adding a flip kit to your 4" drop would equal a 9" drop in the rear....have you not looked at other trucks that have been lowered an what parts they have used?
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
Bowtied13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
Dude you might wana search the forum an read what ppl have done....adding a flip kit to your 4" drop would equal a 9" drop in the rear....have you not looked at other trucks that have been lowered an what parts they have used?
Honestly I haven't looked through the forum much yet about it. I'll do some more research. Just getting some basic info I guess. Thank you guys for answering my questions though
Old 10-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #8
blazer2007

usually just a flip kit and spindles and cut a coil usually does the trick
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
SCOTI

Some good advice given so far & some 'talk' which doesn't seem to offer much.

The remarks about going from 2/4 (shackles/hangers & drop front springs) to the 4/6 drop (spindles/springs & rear flip kit) is because of the parts used.

One way around the rear drop difference is lowered or re-arched rear springs from a spring shop used w/the current shackles/hangers. You could go w/some 1-2" de-arched rear springs & get close to the 6" rear drop. Another option is to find someone looking for the milder drop & sell him your stuff @ a reduced price w/his stock parts in exchange (or search the classifieds for someone parting a stock truck that has what you need). There's more than one way to get it done.

The additional front drop is as easy as adding 2, 2.5, or 3" drop spindles.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:45 AM   #10
UKNOWME

Before you go swapping back to original equipment in the rear you might try thinning out the leaf spring pack. Not sure if you'll get 6" but you might get down to 5". Now if you have experience or know someone with experience in dearching leaf springs you could get at least 6" in the rear without a flip. Not the ideal way IMO but considering your current setup would probably be the easiest.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
JWSmith

I don't know much about lowering these, but I have done at least a dozen S-10's and I would not suggest cutting a coil. For the s-10's at least, cut coils ride like hell. But listen to others with better experience then me....
However, if you do, measure twice and then measure again. You can always cut a little more out if you don't like the desired outcome, but you can't add it back.
JWSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSmith View Post
I don't know much about lowering these, but I have done at least a dozen S-10's and I would not suggest cutting a coil. For the s-10's at least, cut coils ride like hell. But listen to others with better experience then me....
However, if you do, measure twice and then measure again. You can always cut a little more out if you don't like the desired outcome, but you can't add it back.
If cutting a coil, rule is 1-coil max. Anything beyond that is where the ride definitely goes to crap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #13
JWSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If cutting a coil, rule is 1-coil max. Anything beyond that is where the ride definitely goes to crap.
For the s-10 the rule of thumb was 1 turn of the coil was 1 inch. Is it the same on these?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
blazer2007

Quote:
For the s-10 the rule of thumb was 1 turn of the coil was 1 inch. Is it the same on these?
I did mine that way,if not the coil would,t sit in it,s pocket on a-arm right.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Typically, 1-coil removed on C10's yields 2" of drop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
JWSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Typically, 1-coil removed on C10's yields 2" of drop.
- hmm...got me thinking