The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Railroadman

Question on primer

The utility box on my '66 project has 2 or 3 coats of paint, and will need body work as well. I'm thinking it will make a nice winter project to strip and prime it, and do spot work here and there.

I admit I know little about paint, and what little I DO know is probably about 30 years out of date. For some small parts I was working on a while back, the local paint supply store sold me a rattle can of self-etching primer and it seems to work well. It's Dominion Sure Seal if that helps.

I have heard that some primers attract and retain moisture. How much risk or harm would I be doing to strip, clean and prime the utility box itself with that same primer? The truck, when finished, will be for cruising and occasional light work like firewood, not a showpiece for judging.

Thanks!
Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
andyh1956

Re: Question on primer

I think the modern consensus now is after you get your metal stripped to use an epoxy primer on it. Then later while doing the prep work use your high solids sandable primer to get ready for the top finish color. It's the high solids sandable primer that attracts moisture & can ruin your body work under it if left to the elements.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Railroadman

Thanks Andy!

What you describe sounds like the work I have in mind - stripping off the old paint over the winter, then getting into the final prep and actual body work next spring. Obviously I need something to put on the metal once I have the paint off.

What is the difference between the "one step etch primer", and epoxy primer? Epoxy seals it up better?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Epoxy is the Foundation. Then your 2K Urethane is your stack up primer for block sanding down and getting a laser straight panel. As mentioned, the 2k is something you want covered with paint. If left for awhile, put some epoxy on it and when you go the put the 2k on....scuff the epoxy so you have good adhesion.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
Railroadman

So ditch the etching primer, get epoxy and go from there. Got it, will do! Many thanks!