The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
carboy400

Starter grinding 305 V8

So some back ground. I bought this truck with what I was told was a 350 sbc. The sound you hear in the video was something I heard when I bought it and figured it was a starter that was to tight. I had an incident where it left me strained and I did a parking lot starter swap. The sound continued but I had not installed any shims. I then put in 2 shims the sound stayed the same. Going for broke I installed 5 shims and no change to the sound. The video shows the engine cranking at times but stopping. I coded the engine and found it to be a 305 ('78-'80 vintage). I was under the impression that 305 and 350 shared most of the same parts, starter and flex plate included. I was told that I may have a 154 tooth plate and I would need to go get a 305 starter. I hand counted the teeth and came up with 164 teeth. This should match the starter i bought when I thought it was a 350. I am just trying to figure out what is going on here. Can you put a 164 tooth plate in a 305 with a 350 starter and have it work?

Video link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi1iKValzqY
carboy400 is offline   Reply With Quote