The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
toddster

newbie looking for some help

Hi all, I am new to the forum and in search of a 68-72 c/k pick up.
I test drove my first truck today, it was a 68, completely restored with a new crate engine. I had a few observations i was hoping to get some insight on.
1. The steering wheel was awkwardly long, felt like it was almost in my chest.
2. The brake pedal was SOO long, i had to hold my leg in the air to get over the top of the pedal. Is this typical and am i the only one to be put off by it? It seems there must be some straight forward remedies if I am not opposed to altering?
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: newbie looking for some help

Welcome to the site and to the trucks. Yep pretty normal and this site is full of ways to relive those problems. Look up steering column shortening. It is'nt what it sounds like but very easy and very effective.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #3
LongBox

Hey! These are vintage trucks. Back in the day, steering wheels were large diameter, with very skinny rims; the steering column put the wheel right in your chest; the headlight dimmer was on the floor; the ignition key lock was in the dash, not on the steering column; the seat is sorta straight up and down; the gas sloshed around in the tank right behind the seat; and the vent system was operated by levers under the dash on either side.

That's all part of the vintage driving experience. I have to make a sort of mental adjustment when I climb into my 69, but I sure enjoy driving the beast, even with manual steering.

Before you go and make a bunch of changes, see if it "grows on you", you might be surprised.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
toddster

Thanks, i get that, the steering wheel i could get used to but the brake position scares me a bit, at 6'-2" i have a lot of travel time before i get my leg high enough to use the brake, not very quick reaction time with a set up like that. I am also not as quick as I used to be, maybe this position would just make me drive a little slower and take it easy?
I am considering using this as a daily driver
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
vikingsandpintos

Welcome! I, too, am new to these trucks. I just bought one for my 15 year old daughter, this is what she wants for her 1st car. Parenting win!! lol I have some of the same concerns as you, as I am tall too, and so is she. While it is in the garage this winter, I will be looking at shortening the steering column, and possibly cut/welding the brake pedal. I am used to driving older vehicles, we have a 71 Chevelle and 79 Pinto too, so we know what people are saying about the charm of older cars! It is strange, going from a newer one to something 40 years old, they sure are built different, but each has it's own appeal. I hope you enjoy the truck, even when it decides it wants to have an attitude, because they all do at times!
vikingsandpintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
sawyerrm

I've had mine about a month so I'm a newbie too. The steering wheel is big but you will get used to it as someone else mentioned. I don't have the same experience with the brake pedal, mine feels normal, maybe because I have power brakes. One thing to remember is that even if the truck is in great shape, it is a 50 year old technology. You don't drive down the road, you sort of hurtle, slightly out of control. As I was leaving, the PO gently reminded me to drive slowly.

Anyway, this is a great site and don't hesitate to ask questions. Let us know how you do.
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #7
Benny-

Welcome! Fairly new myself but I've been daily driving my 72 for over a year now.

The steering wheel in my wife's Mazda feels tiny!

My brake pedal sits in a similar position to yours. You should be able adjust the rod length and brake light switch given you still have enough travel to stop the truck.

I recently added power brakes and wished I had done that on day 1. Totally different driving experience over manual.

I love driving my truck every day, even it is a little more work and hassle at times. All part of it, and if you can live with it you get to drive one the coolest vehicles ever made, every day.

1978 GMC K15 High Sierra.
Benny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:28 AM   #8
benbloom

do you have a picture of the interior with the break pedal? I'm about your height and always found these trucks to be more than comfortable to drive around, perhaps it was just an odd st up in this truck you drove? My advice would be to take some time to go look at as many of these trucks as you can before you buy, its so hard to tell what is a good truck and price, the more experience you get the more you will start to develop your own preferences about small things that often end up mattering. Remember that these things are classic trucks, and they do not feel a thing like newer trucks. That said, with power steering and power breaks with an automatic, these things are as easy to drive as any newer car. Good luck, and welcome to this great forum!!
benbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I have always lifted my foot to use the brake in everything I have every driven. Never heard a complaint like yours before. Are you saying you just slip your foot over from throttle to brake never moving your heal? How would you work a clutch? I never gave lifting my foot a second thought. I'll have to pay attention to that today on my way to work. All I know is I have always been able to hit the brake as fast as possible...and even depressed the clutch at the same time.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Benny-

Here's s visual for reference. This is my brake pedal. You can see how far up it sits. It is against the 'stop' at this point. In the second picture you can see adjustment threads on both the rod and light switch, which is the white piece below the rod.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Looks normal. Isn't there always more travel in a brake pedal than a throttle? I wouldn't want my brake pedal any closer to the floor. The throttle you put to the floor, when the brake pedal to the floor is a bad scene. I took note driving yesterday and I lift ever so little to hit the brake. Never paid it any mind. Are there vehicle where you just pivot your heal from throttle to brake? I'll be driving my '95 today. I'll pay attention to that for comparison

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
B. W.

The brake pedal is designed to rest against the upper stop, the adjustment in the push rod is to insure it is the proper length for the booster or master cylinder. (it looks like one end of your adjuster has a weld on it?) If you loosen your adjuster & make the push rod shorter all it will do is give you more pedal travel before it engages the master cylinder. You could modify the upper bumper so the pedal sits slightly lower but it is important that the brake pedal have enough "reserve height" (with brake pedal completely depressed there should be a couple of inches between the pedal & the floor). there is probably a spec. for this on our trucks, I've never looked.

As far as the steering wheel issue, I just saw a shortened column for sale on the parts board (2" shorter I think)

Bobby
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
LongBox

Looks a lot like the pedal positioning in my 69 with manual brakes. I'd just leave it all alone, and consider that having to lift your foot about 3 inches is part of your fitness routine ;-)

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #14
el_fantasma

I don't think he bought this truck yet, he was just wondering if the height of the brake pedal was normal.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: newbie looking for some help

WELCOME Toddster ! .

You'll find the collective group here knows every darn thing about your truck be it stock or Hot Rodded .

Greetings from an Ex Pat Yankee Farm Boy who worked on these trucks when new .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #16
Benny-

Yes my origonal pedal rod is welded to an aftermarket booster... I was just trying to give the OP someone else's truck to compare to.