The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Freddo

Power Steering Question

Hi everyone!
I drive a 1967 c10 with a 283 and it has manual steering. Recently I came across someone who had a 79 Chevy pick up with a v8 & power steering they were parting out. I am able to get all of the components for power steering: pump mounting brackets, crankshaft pulley, hoses, power steering box, pitman arm, and rag joint for $100. I know that I will have to dimple the frame on my truck or possibly use spacers, and may end up trading out a pump and putting new seals in the power steering box, but are there any other things that you can think of that would make this swap non-workable?
All help appreciated!
Fred
Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Power Steering Question

The 67 uses the short water pump & the 79 uses the long one. The pulleys & brackets won't line up.
If you get the water pump, crank & water pump pulleys, & alt brackets & change it all it should work but you may have a clearance problem with the radiator.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
Freddo

Re: Power Steering Question

Thanks for the quick reply Wrenchbender! If memory serves, the 79 Chev has the alternator on the passenger side. (My 67 has the alternator on the driver side. A couple of questions:
1. Does the power steering pump on the 79 mount on the lower driver side area like the older models (67-72)?
2. If it does mount up like the older models, is there any pulleys anyone is familiar with that I could use to make it work?
3. Or as Wrenchbender suggested, is changing to the longer waterpump/all pulleys & alternator bracket the only way to make this work?

Once again, thanks for the quick reply & the help!
Fred
Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote