The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
tmartin

Choices...am i crazy?

I subscribed to this forum quite a while ago and lurked at all of the pictures trying to make up my mind what i wanted to do with my build. My grandfather purchased a 1973 GMC 1 ton 2wd with 454 brand new...i don't think it even has 60,000 miles. He took it off the road to repaint it...he was a GM body man for 40 years and it never got done. It's simply waiting there for me whenever i decide what i want to do with it. My tough decision is i'm not a big fan of 2wd long beds...in my opinion long bed 4x4 and short bed 2wd are the way to go. Am i crazy to want to either cut it down to a short bed 2wd or do a 4x4 conversion and keep it a long bed? As much work as it sounds for whatever reason I'd like to keep it as much "this" truck as possible even though it might be more work so i'm not really into a frame swap.

This will simply just be a project truck not a daily driver. I've never been a 2wd low rider type of guy but i can see where they could be pretty fun to drive with a modified 454. I drive a ford raptor daily so i have the 4x4 situation covered but I've always been a bit of a country 4x4 type of person vs a 2wd.

Any thoughts or pics of good looking 2wd long beds anyone wants to share? they are hard to come by!
tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
TrailerTrash

Re: Choices...am i crazy?

Nothing but long beds in this thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=644645

I think if you are attached to the truck then you should make it your own and go for whatever plans you have in mind. be it short bed conversion or 4x4 conversion.

but if you arent attached to the truck and just want a square period then another truck could be the way to go. the exact truck you want not something you have to drastically modify.

just some thoughts though man. personally I like short and long beds it doesnt matter to me. i just dont like stepsides but to each their own its your call

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
74CustomK20

Honestly, if you want that truck to be a 4x4 a frame swap is the easy way out, just time consuming. Shortening the frame isn't hard either, just time consuming. I have done a 2wd to 4x4 conversion it's not hard, and that way would get my vote. If you do go that route I have a 4x4 1 ton frame n can take measurements if needed or whatever. Or just let ya have it for a fee lol
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
tmartin

Thanks for the input guys! i've looked at nearly every long bed in all the forum pictures and just haven't found the "one" that inspires me to build a long bed 2wd. I've been leaning towards the 4x4 conversion so that's probably my plan. To your point TrailerTrash I am somewhat attached to the truck since my grandfather purchased it new which is why i was trying to avoid a frame swap. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
f.monroe

Says it's a 1 ton. Is it a single wheel one ton or a dually? If it's a dually you can't go wrong building it that way. If not .......and it's a one ton .........I'd make it a dually and it would look perfect without having to cut grandpa's truck .
Old 11-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Dead Parrot

Sounds like you have emotional attachment to the truck. If so, you want to make it into something that you like even if the cost might not make the most sense. Last thing you want is getting into Grandpa's truck and feeling bad about it. 4x4 conversion sounds like the best and easiest option to keep much of it original. Maybe even a heavy duty tow rig with a winch on the front. That way you have a go fast 4x4(Raptor) and a tow almost anything anywhere 4x4(Grandpa's).
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #7
LT7A

tmartin, I totally get the dilemma. Proportion wise I am also a fan of lifted long beds and lowered short beds. I have a lifted long bed but ended up with a 2 wheel drive long bed that was supposed to be a parts truck. It was too nice to take apart. Now I'm staring at it trying to decide if I can lower it a little and still keep the proportions good, and like it that way. With yours, what about getting the truck and cleaning it up and fixing the things that would be the same either way, and driving it for a while? Maybe the way you use it and how it looks sitting in your driveway will help you know which way to go.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
tmartin

Great replies guys thanks! Dead Parrot gave me a great idea! I think i'll do the 4x4 build with a mild lift but retain a pretty heavy duty suspension so i can use it to pull the occasional gooseneck equipment trailer or small horse trailer...solve a slight problem i have with the Raptor! Starting to build my new house and shop this month so hopefully start the build in the late Winter. I'll get a build thread going at that point.