The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
leonphelps

panel bonding adhesive on roof and drip rail

anyone use panel bonding adhesive for the roof and drip rails? thinking this would be a better option than welding since it will seal the metals together and make them structurally sound.

Have my roof off. waiting for my por15 for the inside. Need to repair the front portion of the drip rail and the inside of roof at windshield.

any thoughts?
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
ls60apache

Re: panel bonding adhesive on roof and drip rail

that's what I used the brand was evercoat theres also others like 3m and lord fusor..the evercoat uses a standard caulk gun,but get a good one it was hard on the hand. make sure your bonding clean metal.hit it with a 40 or 36 grit disc so the adhesive has good bite. also have plenty vise grips to clamp it down. good luck.
ls60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
leonphelps

I did a set of quarter panels and a door skin lower patch with the 3m stuff. It worked well. The door panels were quite a lesson. 10 minutes for the panel bonding one and 3 hours for the welded one. The quarters turned out excellent until the paint guy intentionally sanded down my body work because he was pissed he didnt get the whole job. You can see where I used two screws to hold the panel until the 100 or so magnets held the rest in place. I swear by hard drive magnets for panel bonding adhesive. How do I know it was a great job? My 10 closest friends who all bust balls all looked at the job, ran their hands over it a million ways, and now all ask for help with their little body jobs.

I was also wondering about the durability of the panel bonding adhesive if only painted over. We all know the seam sealer has a life expectancy of a couple decades, but no one knows the panel bonding life expectancy.
leonphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
ls60apache

the adhesive is great stuff I glued down the roof skin on a my 57 wagon in 04 I sold it in 09 I see the new owner every year.i did use 3m adhesive from my local body shop buds. it is still locked down. if you use a good 2part seam sealer you should have years of durability.
ls60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
shortstep60

I have used 3m panel glue for ten years now and never had any trouble with it at all.
shortstep60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
cg285

3m 08115 you will need an applicator gun
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote