The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Boeing

Wiring diagram engine, transmission etc.

Hey guys. I'm in the process of trying to get my engine running that I acquired from a 1994 (I was told) chev 1500 (5.7 TBI).
I have (I think) the entire wiring harness, trans harness, relays, pcm, fuse block, that came with the engine. The problem is that everything was completly disconnected and ripped out and layed aside while the previous owner tried to do a very poor S10 conversion. I have decided to keep my original frame and just go with an IFS instead.
In the meantime I want to try and get this engine running, but the miles of wire and plugs ,sensors etc, is making my head swim. I have tried to download wiring diagrams for a 94 truck from the internet but can't seem to find any that match some of the wiring colors and plugs I have. Not sure if it's a Canadian thing or what!
I don't want to go and buy a cheap Haines, Clymer, manual and get poor copies of diagrams which may or may not fit what I have.
So to start with, does anyone have a good engine wiring diagram of a 94 1500 with a 5.7? The only hint I have of the year is a 1994 date stamped on the PCM as well as what the PO told me. He also said that the engine is a crate engine, so don't know what year that was purchased or even how to tell if it's a crate engine.
Also am trying to find fuel plumbing diagrams as well, again, everything has been dismantled and I am knee deep in wiring and fuel lines.

Thanks guys
Boeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Wiring diagram engine, transmission etc.

Quote:
I have tried to download wiring diagrams for a 94 truck from the internet but can't seem to find any that match some of the wiring colors
Quote:
does anyone have a good engine wiring diagram of a 94 1500 with a 5.7
it sounds like you already have a diagram, but it may not be the diagram
start by looking for casting numbers that indicate what year motor you have

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
thunderjet

Have done 3 mid 90s TBI installs. LT1 swap has the best information that I have found and used. http://lt1swap.com/all_lt1.htm. You didnt say if the harness was original and still loomed in its factory wrap and plugs, or if it was a stripped harness. The fuel system is pretty basic, 40+ psi from a pump, and a return line to the tank. I assume you are eliminating the emission parts.
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Boeing

Thanks guys, Ogre I will see what I can get off the block today for casting numbers.
Thunderjet, the harness is still all factory. I would like to eliminate as much as possible and use only what is required to run the engine. This of course is my issue.....where to start.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Boeing

Thanks guys, Ogre I will see what I can get off the block today for casting numbers.
Thunderjet, the harness is still all factory. I would like to eliminate as much as possible and use only what is required to run the engine. This of course is my issue.....where to start.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:30 PM   #6
Boeing

Ok, here is what I found out regarding block casting numbers.
Drivers side rear just says " GM 5.7 LG SGI" have no clue what that means.
Passenger side number is 14093638
Internet says this "small block V8 1987-95 350. Two bolt or 4 bolt.roller or flat tappet cam. 1 piece rear seal"

I have not pulled the pan yet to see if it's a 2 or 4 bolt main.

Also, for the life of me I can't find the date code stamped anywhere.

If you can shed anymore light, let me know.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
Coupeguy2001

if the front of the heads have 2 vertical bars, they are swirl port heads, indicating low speed, high torque engine.
If the front of the heads have markings that resemble a heavy saw tooth, it is a vortec. higher revving, more horsepower.
each have different electrical diagrams.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
thunderjet

When you dig into the LT1 swap site, you will find a list of "pin outs" indicating which wires you need to make the engine run. This info is at the PCM. When I do a TBI swap, I usually hook up all the plugs, get the motor running and then clean up the harness. Basically, the orange wires in the harness need constant 12 volts from a battery source, and the pink wires need 12 volts in run and start.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Boeing

coupeguy, my engine has the 2 vertical bars....too bad was hoping for the higher hp version.

Also, that link you attached didnt open up....its dead.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
Boeing

Thunderjet,

I went on his site but couldn't find a TBI diagram for a 1994, or for that matter a PCM for 1994. Best i could find was one for 1996 and onward....would it be the same?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #11
Boeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderjet View Post
When you dig into the LT1 swap site, you will find a list of "pin outs" indicating which wires you need to make the engine run
I just checked the site again and couldn't find any diagrams for just a standard 5.7 liter for 1994. Any reference for that year is either an LT1 block or a vortec....unless as mentioned before, they are the same.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #12
thunderjet

OK, sorry if I mislead you. I pulled up an Autozone list of GM schematics...http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...96b43f80c90e70. The 12th page shows you all the basic wiring for the motor and the PCM. From this you should be able to see what you need and don't need to complete your install.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #13
Boeing

Thanks for the effort Thunder jet......much appreciated. Great info!
Old 11-12-2016, 12:01 AM   #14
dsraven

If you think it is a 94, go to auto value or parts source and you can download and print all the info you need for free. Parts source is self help on a computer terminal and auto value is ask the parts guy to look up and print off. There is also the calgary library that will get you a haynes manual with wiring diagrams.
What did you decide to go with for front end?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #15
Boeing

Thanks for the info on the wiring diagram. I will go and check these stores out today.
As far as the IFS goes, I am not sure. Lots to choose from out there, ranging in price from about 1000 to over 3000 dollars. Again, i'm kind of going for the budget models right now, as I don't know what the future plans for the truck will be.
Would like to find something available in Canada because the shipping is outrages from the USA.
I have been looking at the Scott Danforth set up. Its just a cross member but its set up to take a number of GM metric IFS systems. I like it because its well priced, and it will take all the pieces of the S10 that I already have.
Problem is that I don't know if he's still around or if he sell them.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #16
dsraven

The thing I like about the danforth crossmember is that it is already assembled so you dont have to hope everything is correct, geometry wise, as far as upper control arm location etc. Stillsome levelling etc but once the member is in thats it, just assemble using your s10 parts you already have. Everything is over the counter as well, so if you need a ball joint in Radium you can get one easily enough.using the stock parts also keeps the costs down and using a crossmember kit keeps the timeline short cause you arent dissassembling the whole truck and assembling back onto another frame.I would say go for it.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
Boeing

I think i will pull the trigger on this one one......problem is I cant get a hold of him. I tried email addresses from this and other sites but so far no luck.