The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
Advanced Design

FiTech system for LS coming soon

I stumbled across this somewhere and wanted to share...FiTech is coming out with a fuel and control system for the LS. Apparently transmission control will be available too.

The pricing looks very reasonable compared to other options. Here is a link for more details... on http://fitechefi.com/products/ultima...ction-systems/
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: FiTech system for LS coming soon

That's a nice looking unit
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #3
SierraMtns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
I stumbled across this somewhere and wanted to share...FiTech is coming out with a fuel and control system for the LS. Apparently transmission control will be available too.

The pricing looks very reasonable compared to other options. Here is a link for more details... on http://fitechefi.com/products/ultima...ction-systems/
How would this compare to running a stock LS system with a OE computer?
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMtns View Post
How would this compare to running a stock LS system with a OE computer?
The FiTech system would be more than a stock system and computer. And much less than MSD, Holley, FAST.

I've read other posts where customers are reporting reduced customer support from FiTech, probably due to their rapid growth.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
GMR-PERFORMANCE

the CS factor with them is the worst . as well the info is not completely accurate on what they say .. fuel reg issues have been one big item that I delt with on a set up.. but over all once you get through the deal it worked well and tuned in.. Have heard they are working on adding more tech help.

That looks nice but odd that it has a two bar map that will work up to 30 PSI of boost but rated for 750 hp?? Unless that is based on the injectors they sell with the kit? as a healthy LS engine can make 600-650 with ease then add a single S480 and you are well into the 900 range and then some if you turn up the boost .

I plan on doing my LS swap this winter , and the S480 is in the plan at this point new convertor for my 4l80E and had planed on running a custom harness with stock ECM. but this is interesting for sure.

I did not see if it would run a switch fuel sensor though as I plan on running pump E 85 and turn up the boost or 93 pump and dial it back down.

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 11-15-2016 at 01:02 PM.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #6
NC_John

I had FITech on my SBC and loved it but this seems like an answer to a question nobody asked. The factory fueling and controls on a LS are excellent. Why anyone would want to ditch the factory setup (with millions of dollars in development costs) and bolt this aftermarket unit on is beyond me. IMO you'd be better off bolting on a carb and running ignition through a msd box if you didn't want factory.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
I had FITech on my SBC and loved it but this seems like an answer to a question nobody asked. The factory fueling and controls on a LS are excellent. Why anyone would want to ditch the factory setup (with millions of dollars in development costs) and bolt this aftermarket unit on is beyond me. IMO you'd be better off bolting on a carb and running ignition through a msd box if you didn't want factory.
Hear. Hear.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
Hear. Hear.
I think it may be easier to tune?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I think it may be easier to tune?
The SBC version was easy to "tune" but it was never really perfect the entire time I had it. Might have been because of my lumpy cam but I have a feeling that most who would consider this would have a bigger cam too.

One thing I will say- this setup looks way better cosmetically than the standard truck Intake. Factory intake Vortecs are FUGLY.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #10
Overdriven

Quote:
I'm not an expert on tuning but a common theme I've seen with my limited research into LS tuning is the complexity. There are many, many tables that can introduce their own variables to the basic fuel and ignition tables which can result in unexpected behavior. Imagine you're boosting a stock LS reciprocating assembly on pump gas, do you really want the computer doing something unexpected that could lean out the fuel mixture and spit its guts out the side of the block?

Obviously on a naturally aspirated engine this is less of a concern and paying a good tuner to do the tuning is a safer route than tuning your own engine. But what if you want to DYI tune? Then you need to do lots of research into tuning the factory ecu and all those other tables, info that isn't always given freely, leading to tuning classes. Get it right and the factory computer can run your engine better than some of the aftermarket options, no doubt about it due to all its power and options.

But the factory computers don't have some of the functions built into some of the aftermarket ecu's. Options like boost control, anti lag, transbrake with bump stage, auto nitrous activation, programmable traction control, etc. And if your LS starting point doesn't include a factory wire harness and ecu the aftermarket options don't look as expensive as they once did. Personally I've been looking into Megasquirt. Simpler tables, anti lag, and flex fuel capability appears easier than with a factory ecu. Been seeing a lot of factory ecu tunes requiring a reflash for different ethanol content while Megasquirt auto adjusts according to what the ethanol content sensor sees. There's a place for the aftermarket stuff, whether it's right for you depends on what you want the ecu to do.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #11
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

The pitch on this in a Roadkill video on Facebook is that this lets you just buy a LS long block and run it. If your source engine is a long block without the intake, injectors, harness, or ECM, and you don't have HPTuners already, I could see the price point being very attractive.

If you have the factory setup already, though, the only interesting part here is the intake manifold.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:07 AM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

So here's the deal with these (and to qualify, my biz partner has tuned on every modern system); absolutely every name brand EFI system on the market right now is passable. Every one will pretty much bolt on to your car with "average" wiring knowledge, and can be running out of the box with some common sense and a little bit of basic understanding.

Where they start to separate is their individual cost, abilities, applications, and depth.
Certain things like Megasquirt can be used on ANYTHING, and can be on the cheaper side for a base...but it also has a much higher barrier to entry in learning, less vehicle specific support (smaller overall community), yet is very very deep (expandable, hardcore tweakable for pro's and 1-off setups)

On the other hand is something like the first generation of the Holly EFI. It was very expensive, only supported certain configurations, and though it was easy to setup, it did lack some initial depth because the computer-learning took the place of a full function tuning suite.

So our subject; FItech is fairly feature rich and easy enough to setup for what it costs. It gets you in the door to aftermarket EFI cheaper than most of the others, and its capability for that money is something to keep an eye on. The thing that I find cool is that it has a fairly deep structure in terms of what "can" be achieved by a pro tuner. It can definately be setup by a hobbyist, and the results are acceptable...but it still offers enough flexibility that a professional tuner will be able to achieve "pro" results from it in most cases, without being limited by any of its features or its tuning structure.

For what its worth, as we move forward, your ability to even consider tuning new-gen stuff yourself is going to largely vanish. The 2017 GM vehicles have a new encoding on the E92/E92A ECMs. This is due to VW's f*ckery with emissions, which involved changes to the tune "tricking" the emissions systems for CAFE/EPA standards.

These new ECM's require 3x the credits from HP Tuners, and actually must be ordered directly from HPt (they cannot be licensed on the fly through software). The combination of VE, VVE, and GMVE means knowing how to work with piles of tables and how they interact with each other. The DI stuff uses seperate scale tables for each degree of the injection window, and the ability to offset the entire window itself.

Oh, and for fun (you get to hear it first here); the 2018+ high performance GM vehicles will be using compound fueling (ie multiple injector sets for multiple TYPES of injection). Which means multiple stage overlapping injector tables and scales to tune and tune the functions.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
paul mora

This is a little off subject but when I first saw this I thought I would be able to bolt this in my blazer with the 350 Chevy. I am currently running a 1987 TPI which is a 30 year old technology. I am not sure if there is a better fuel system on the market that I can use. I have considered a Fitech or the Holley Sniper but one of my car buddies says I would stepping backwards because they are less efficient. I thought the self turning system would be better then the TPI because I think the the would be better tuned. What I am actually trying to avoid is replacing my 350 Chevy with a LS. Any thoughts or suggestion from someone
Old 12-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #14
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul mora View Post
This is a little off subject but when I first saw this I thought I would be able to bolt this in my blazer with the 350 Chevy. I am currently running a 1987 TPI which is a 30 year old technology. I am not sure if there is a better fuel system on the market that I can use. I have considered a Fitech or the Holley Sniper but one of my car buddies says I would stepping backwards because they are less efficient. I thought the self turning system would be better then the TPI because I think the the would be better tuned. What I am actually trying to avoid is replacing my 350 Chevy with a LS. Any thoughts or suggestion from someone
Paul, what is wrong with what you have now?
Old 12-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #15
paul mora

Just look for better mileage and cleaner running
Old 12-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #16
Advanced Design

Quote:
Paul, if the base engine is in good shape and system is in tune, changing from the TPI system to achieve your goals might be diminishing returns pretty quickly. I will defer to anyone with TPI experience. I've always thought it was a good system.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #17
Overdriven

Quote:
I'd advise you to start another thread detailing your engine combination, trans, rear gear, current mileage, how it's running, etc. Then those who know TPI could advise you better.

But for speculation sake let's speculate a little. I assume from the post I quoted that you can tell it's running rich. Well that can be solved with a tune. If you're running a factory GM TPI ecu that could be a pain as you'd need to find a tuner with the equipment necessary for programming those ECUs. If I remember right they have a chip that needs to be programmed in a special setup or a special piece that plugs in place of the chip that can be programmed.

Alternatively you can keep the TPI manifold, injectors, etc and just ditch the factory ecu for an aftermarket unit. TPI setups are great for torque and midrange with the long runners which might be beneficial for your setup and needs. Combine the TPI with an aftermarket ecu and finding a local tuner to optimize your combination becomes easier. But you're likely to have to make your own wiring harness from the "universal" harness that comes with the ecu. If your vehicle is emissions regulated the smog police may reject an aftermarket ecu.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #18
paul mora

I have been running the TPI since 1999. At the time it had a VATS unit and I had Jet Auto in Huntington Beach tune and work with the VATS. I thought that I could not get someone to retune the ecu and they only had the factory tune. If it is possible to get a tuner to make adjustments then I will.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #19
Rich84

Go to the Thirdgen.org website..Plenty of tuners over there.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
Advanced Design

Here is an overview of their LS injection from a SEMA interview.

https://youtu.be/n4DsckDqMLE
Old 08-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #21
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
So here's the deal with these (and to qualify, my biz partner has tuned on every modern system); absolutely every name brand EFI system on the market right now is passable. Every one will pretty much bolt on to your car with "average" wiring knowledge, and can be running out of the box with some common sense and a little bit of basic understanding.

Where they start to separate is their individual cost, abilities, applications, and depth.
Certain things like Megasquirt can be used on ANYTHING, and can be on the cheaper side for a base...but it also has a much higher barrier to entry in learning, less vehicle specific support (smaller overall community), yet is very very deep (expandable, hardcore tweakable for pro's and 1-off setups)

On the other hand is something like the first generation of the Holly EFI. It was very expensive, only supported certain configurations, and though it was easy to setup, it did lack some initial depth because the computer-learning took the place of a full function tuning suite.

So our subject; FItech is fairly feature rich and easy enough to setup for what it costs. It gets you in the door to aftermarket EFI cheaper than most of the others, and its capability for that money is something to keep an eye on. The thing that I find cool is that it has a fairly deep structure in terms of what "can" be achieved by a pro tuner. It can definately be setup by a hobbyist, and the results are acceptable...but it still offers enough flexibility that a professional tuner will be able to achieve "pro" results from it in most cases, without being limited by any of its features or its tuning structure.

For what its worth, as we move forward, your ability to even consider tuning new-gen stuff yourself is going to largely vanish. The 2017 GM vehicles have a new encoding on the E92/E92A ECMs. This is due to VW's f*ckery with emissions, which involved changes to the tune "tricking" the emissions systems for CAFE/EPA standards.

These new ECM's require 3x the credits from HP Tuners, and actually must be ordered directly from HPt (they cannot be licensed on the fly through software). The combination of VE, VVE, and GMVE means knowing how to work with piles of tables and how they interact with each other. The DI stuff uses seperate scale tables for each degree of the injection window, and the ability to offset the entire window itself.

Oh, and for fun (you get to hear it first here); the 2018+ high performance GM vehicles will be using compound fueling (ie multiple injector sets for multiple TYPES of injection). Which means multiple stage overlapping injector tables and scales to tune and tune the functions.
Thank you. You answered all my questions in your single post.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #22
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I have an addendum to that post, for what it worth. The FITech systems my partner tuned (on new builds, from scratch) ended up being pretty decent. They ran high pressure fuel pumps, and just used the carb/injector body unit and computer.

I did encounter one of them using that command center thing (that converts low pressure from the mechanical pump, into higher pressure using an internal pump and vac reference). That was horrible. It has issues with venting and pinches on the lines, and seemed to have issues being stable in terms of pressure. Because there is some variation in mechanical pumps out there, the unit can have incoming pressure of anywhere from 4 up to 9psi...and then internally raises it to ~55psi. The internal pump seemed to be all over because it uses PWM, which FITech had issues with on these units. They had additional settings to be used for the PWM control because they had fuel heating/cavitation issues. Even using those settings, I had issues.

So while I stand by most of my original post, I'd like to summarize:
IF your just using the throttle body unit and computer...its a functional system for the money, but a bit short of what else is on the market. The mfg support is sub par, as is the knowledge base out there. The command center thing? Stay far away.

I also had issues with the display white screening, not saving properly, and seeming laggy. I'm not gonna say they all do that, since this system in general had issues.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote