The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
evan

Long bed floor cut down for a short bed?

I have a shortbox project truck with a rusty bed floor and the opportunity to buy a wrecked long box truck that has the bed floor in good shape. I can get patch panels for the short box fenders easily but finding a replacement floor anywhere near me is difficult and I'm not really excited about trying to tie in those little bed floor patch panels.

Has anyone chopped the bed floor from a longbox down to use with shortbox bed sides? How did it go? Do you have any tips? If you've seen someone else do it on the interwebs can you post a link?
Old 11-11-2016, 12:20 AM   #2
HAULIN' IT

Re: Long bed floor cut down for a short bed?

That would not go well...not saying: "It can't be done" however there will be some issues for sure. The crossmembers are not in the same locations due to the bed bolt spacing. The bump for the fuel necks would not be in the same location either. It would not as simple as cutting 12" off the front & 8" off the back like when you shorten the frame.
You would need to do some "funny stuff" with new bolt holes, sleeves where the crossmember normally goes, move the fuel neck bumps, ect. ect. or you would end up having 4 seams across the bedfloor to make it work. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #3
trixter99
I have no time for this

The holy guacamole thread in the builds section has a cut down long box in it.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
That would not go well...not saying: "It can't be done" however there will be some issues for sure. The crossmembers are not in the same locations due to the bed bolt spacing. The bump for the fuel necks would not be in the same location either. It would not as simple as cutting 12" off the front & 8" off the back like when you shorten the frame.
You would need to do some "funny stuff" with new bolt holes, sleeves where the crossmember normally goes, move the fuel neck bumps, ect. ect. or you would end up having 4 seams across the bedfloor to make it work. Lorne
The best (proper?) way to make a LWB floor into a SWB floor is to cut between the specific LWB/SWB bed floor reinforcement channels. This requires cutting & welding each end back together (which removes the extra channels) vs just chopping off the excess floor material @ each end (2 seams not 4). If done this way, there is more cutting/welding/fab work but the support members, fuel neck bumps, & fastener locations all remain correct for a SWB chassis.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
daddyjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The best (proper?) way to make a LWB floor into a SWB floor is to cut between the specific LWB/SWB bed floor reinforcement channels. This requires cutting & welding each end back together (which removes the extra channels) vs just chopping off the excess floor material @ each end (2 seams not 4). If done this way, there is more cutting/welding/fab work but the support members, fuel neck bumps, & fastener locations all remain correct for a SWB chassis.
I agree with Scoti. I am in the middle of cutting down my long bed truck to a short bed and am cutting the bed as well as the frame. Is it the ideal way to do it? absolutely not. It is much easier to just use a 6' bed. Good 6' beds can be real hard to find in my neck of the woods too and I am not wealthy enough to order a brand new floor from LMC. A little careful measuring and cutting and then some welding and grinding is all it takes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:36 AM   #6
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter99 View Post
Do you have a link to that thread? I couldn't find it using the search function.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
65standard

I did that to my 1970 C/20. May or may not be the same process as your '73-87.
The floor cut down starts at post #10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=667694

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter99 View Post
He used a stock shortbox floor. He said he plans to do more of them but I don't know if he plans to cut down longbox floors or not.