The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #1
pvtcook

Sluggish power windows?

Hey guys what's the best fix for my power windows? They wok but are really slow. Thanks.
pvtcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Sluggish power windows?

Remove your door panels and watch the operation of the regulator as you operate the switch. Most people just replace the motors first, but I found that the short harness to the motor in the door was dried out and not making good contact at the connector.

I bought a new regulator and motor for my passenger side window and found out the the window felts on the door panel were pressing too had against the window, which caused the window to operate slowly. (I installed aftermarket Ebay felts - big mistake - should have gone with the Precision brand.) With the panel removed the window operated fine. I added a little lubrication to the regulator and sprayed silicone on the felts. The window works OK now.

You can search and this forum and find some guidance on how to replace the motors if you want to. Replacing the motor and regulator at the same time is best idea - about $100 per window. Use AC Delco.

There is a relay kit you can buy from a fourm member, but I would check the motor/regulator/window felts first.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
daddyjeep

From my research, you should do the relay mod. I have not done this yet myself, but have read that the relay mod provides more power to the window motors. I am sure everything tucson said will help some too.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
pvtcook

Do you know which forum member it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Remove your door panels and watch the operation of the regulator as you operate the switch. Most people just replace the motors first, but I found that the short harness to the motor in the door was dried out and not making good contact at the connector.

I bought a new regulator and motor for my passenger side window and found out the the window felts on the door panel were pressing too had against the window, which caused the window to operate slowly. (I installed aftermarket Ebay felts - big mistake - should have gone with the Precision brand.) With the panel removed the window operated fine. I added a little lubrication to the regulator and sprayed silicone on the felts. The window works OK now.

You can search and this forum and find some guidance on how to replace the motors if you want to. Replacing the motor and regulator at the same time is best idea - about $100 per window. Use AC Delco.

There is a relay kit you can buy from a fourm member, but I would check the motor/regulator/window felts first.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
Speeding Dakota

GMACHINZ is the member that sells all kinds of harness. From factory specs (upgraded of course) to customized for your application.
Speeding Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Hello! How can I be of service?
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #7
pvtcook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Hello! How can I be of service?
Lol well if you read my post my windows are kind of slow and I wasn't sure what they needed. What about this relay mod they're telling me about ?
Old 11-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Well before spending any $$$ on any upgrade kit-consider:

1.) Inspect/grease scissor assembly

2.) Inspect switch connector wiring for fraying wires

3.) make sure the u-channel and related window seals are not causing the glass to bind.

If all this seems to check out fine then an upgrade to at least a relay trigger helps relieve the switches from being load carrying, high resistant contacts and instead they act to trigger high capacity relays to more easily handle the load. Sometimes too the original switches can get grimy inside too and cause excessive resistance.

Moreover IMO if one gets to the point of wanting to upgrade the window speed then splicing in relays will improve the speed. If changing all of the window/lock harness with a NEW harness then supply leads can be bigger, relays can still be used and/or you can add features like auto down and/or up windows as well. Anything you can do to increase voltage @ the motors, you will see an increase in window speed.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #9
pvtcook

Ok I'll look at them tomorrow. I'm going to be pulling my panels. Let me get back w you. Thanks you sir.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #10
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Sure no problem!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Well before spending any $$$ on any upgrade kit-consider:

1.) Inspect/grease scissor assembly

2.) Inspect switch connector wiring for fraying wires

3.) make sure the u-channel and related window seals are not causing the glass to bind.

If all this seems to check out fine then an upgrade to at least a relay trigger helps relieve the switches from being load carrying, high resistant contacts and instead they act to trigger high capacity relays to more easily handle the load. Sometimes too the original switches can get grimy inside too and cause excessive resistance.

Moreover IMO if one gets to the point of wanting to upgrade the window speed then splicing in relays will improve the speed. If changing all of the window/lock harness with a NEW harness then supply leads can be bigger, relays can still be used and/or you can add features like auto down and/or up windows as well. Anything you can do to increase voltage @ the motors, you will see an increase in window speed.
Classy guy right there. Recommends you inspect and repair before selling you something you may or may not need. You don't see that too often in this world folks so take note...
GMACHINZ, I appreciate your honesty and the time you always take to answer my PMs no matter how many there are LOL....
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
pvtcook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
Classy guy right there. Recommends you inspect and repair before selling you something you may or may not need. You don't see that too often in this world folks so take note...
GMACHINZ, I appreciate your honesty and the time you always take to answer my PMs no matter how many there are LOL....
I have to agree!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #13
Oldriginal86

What is the proper grease to lube the scissor channel? When I replaced the passenger window motor, grease looked to be white lithium. I used a marine grease and the window seemed to be the same speed.
Oldriginal86 is offline   Reply With Quote